Sign in to follow this  
HuntHarder

AK Moose hunt drop camp

Hey guys, I am starting to look into getting back to Alaska to hunt moose here in the next year or 3 depending on how booked up everyone is.  I am looking for any recommendations or steer clear ofs.  I used Luke Tyrrell a couple years ago for a caribou and he was great.  This would be a drop camp type of hunt.  Looking forward to planning this trip.

If you were happy with your previous transporter, you may want to stick with them. I know it took me over 3 years of trying to get in with a transporter, and I got lucky getting in.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, buckshotaz said:

If you were happy with your previous transporter, you may want to stick with them. I know it took me over 3 years of trying to get in with a transporter, and I got lucky getting in.

I was originally thinking of going with Luke again.  When I talked to him, he let me know that his Moose population is not as good as he would like right now for legal bulls and that he has a buddy that offers drop camps for moose with a much better population right now.  He is such a stand up guy and was just honest with me.  I booked with his buddy and the cool part is, I will get to hunt southern Ak next year.  Our caribou hunt was north of Fairbanks and the weather was cold with snow, sleet and rain.  Next year, the average temps where I will be in Sept. will be highs around 50 and lows will be high 30's, low 40's.  Now i will get a taste of the nats, whitesocks and mosquitos.  

• Like 3

Good to hear you found another pilot! I'm booked again for next year also with the same guy I went with last year. Hopefully I will take what I learned from this year and we can bring more of that wonderful moose meat back. Good luck to you.