GhostBuster

Unit 22 Rut action??

I was in Unit 22 all last week, no rut activity was experienced during my trip, has anyone else been in the area and seen the bucks chasing the does? Still need to fill the tag. Spotted several bucks during the hunt and scouting but none that I wanted, hoped the rut would get the big guys out.

We were in 22 from opening day till last Thursday and the bucks we saw were chasing does every morning till around 9-10:00 with their noses buried to the ground. Saw some spikes running around like crazed banshi's to it was funny.

They would bed for awhile it seemed warm for a the first few days. But they would get up around 2:00 in the afternoon and continue.

Saw no humpy going on or battles but saw some nice bucks we wanted but just could not pattern them and get close enough for a sure shot. It seemed as though with the full moon they were covering a lot of ground during the nites.

Wed's we had one WT 2x2 (the one my wife shot Thursday) come in on 5 mule deer does scents and almost got a photo of this 3x3 muley all swollen necked head down (pissed) charging the WT. That was neat to see.

Dan

We were in 22 from opening day till last Thursday and the bucks we saw were chasing does every morning till around 9-10:00 with their noses buried to the ground. Saw some spikes running around like crazed banshi's to it was funny.

They would bed for awhile it seemed warm for a the first few days. But they would get up around 2:00 in the afternoon and continue.

Saw no humpy going on or battles but saw some nice bucks we wanted but just could not pattern them and get close enough for a sure shot. It seemed as though with the full moon they were covering a lot of ground during the nites.

Wed's we had one WT 2x2 (the one my wife shot Thursday) come in on 5 mule deer does scents and almost got a photo of this 3x3 muley all swollen necked head down (pissed) charging the WT. That was neat to see.

Dan

I was there this morning. saw a couple does but no bucks. didn't glass long because I was there to pick my buck up from the processor :ph34r:

Dan,

Thanks for the info, I sure wish I could have seen some of these bucks rutting. All of the does were alone where I was at. We did see 22 whitetail deer on the morning of Saturday the 18th and only one little three point that day. During the scouting trips to the area I was hunting I spotted three bucks one morning, spike, three point, and a monster with five on each side (all were whitetails). He looked like he was getting ready to rut then, he was scraping the ground and raking trees, but I have not been able to spot him in the area since that day. Lots of hunters in the area, I got to watch one bowhunter stalk a big 5x5 mule deer with eight does, he was almost within range when one of the does busted him. I was wishing for my bow all day last Tuesday, the Mule deer were all over the place rutting and chasing the does. Well maybe I will get my chance on Thursday this week for my first coues, I am going to drive over after the storm passes on Wednesday and hunt the last two days. Taking the bow this time and will be after those mule deer on the 1st. after my rifle hunt ends on Friday. The plan is to shoot a whitetail on Thursday, get a Mule deer on Saturday and be home by Sunday, and shoot a pig on Sunday afternoon!!!

Ghostbuster,.. where you going to be? I am going up tommorrow until Saturday hunting archery only,...I will probably be camped near Punkin center area. Send me a PM and I will let you know where and how to find me. Wife and I can help you glass one up where we seen a lot if you have a rifle tag.

Dan