Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Unit 17 Youth Elk

My son drew a youth muzzle loader elk tag for 17, I hope to be able to post some pictures and hunt story after this weekend. How is everyones seasons going so far this year? I didn't draw anything except a late November coues tag for 36b in AZ. I'm hoping to find a landowner cow tag for up here in 6c for December for freezer meat.

Take care,

--Bill

didnt know they had land owner tags in az? where is 6c?

NEVERMIND just saw that u are from NM...

I went scouting for my sons elk hunt this weekend and saw a perfectly symmetrical small 6x 6. I hope he shows up Sat. morning about day break so my boy can send some 30 caliber lead sizzling his way, I think I am more excited than he is :lol: ag

fatfootdoc,

Are you guys going to be hunting in 17? Since my son is away at school, I get to pack all the gear so I can just pick him up at school Friday and head down to Magdalena. He's pretty excited about Saturday morning.

Jason,

I believe that we can work up a story, just hope he can connect.

--Bill

WGF-good luck on ur son hunt! keep us post!

fatfootdoc- good luck on ur son 16E...let me know if see some deer! I have late cow tag for that unit in Dec.

vinihunt

Little Bill shot his first bull this past weekend, a 4x4 at 152 yards with his muzzleloader. I'll post some pics with the hunt story after I resize them. How did you son's hunt go fatfootdoc?

--Bill

Well we had a great time, we actually only got to hunt for a day and a half due to some last minute School stuff, so my son was pretty bummed. We were out early Sat. and did not really hear any bugling and there was someone parked where we wanted to start the day(they left camp at 330 more power to them!!) So we sat and glassed and heard them shoot from over the canyon. They had a nice 4x 4 down, spent the rest of the day glassing and hiking canyon fingers. That night we were in good elk country with great sign everywhere and had some muley doe feed right up to us, of course then the storm that hit up there Sat started to blow in and the wind was swirling everywhere. We were in a large park and I was cow calling every so often, we got up to leave due to the wind and as we were walking out a large black bear took off from about 30 feet in front of us. THat was the extent of our action Sat. SO got up MOnday at 230 and headed out again and hunted a small area of natl. forest and again were cow calling a little and my buddy got an answer adn immediately these 2 cow bailed out of the canyon and my son had to take a standing shot and missed(did draw blood from his new scope mark on his forehead though :blink: ) I called and they actually stopped and he was sitting this time but the large cow he wanted was behind a tree, I just told him to hold on and lead her when she stepped out, but of course she went from 1 mph to 100mph and he did not get another shot. After applying some direct pressure to is new facial laceration to stop the bleeding we tried to get back on them but they crossed into private land. So if I would have had him sit and shoot the first shot like I should have, we would have been eating some elk jerky today!!. He had a blast and has a deer hunt Nov 1st so he can hardly wait, of course then he will have some competition from my 11 year old daughter!! Oh and I picked him up from school on Tuesday only to find it was yearbook picture day!! My sons forehead scope mark will be immortalized forever!! :lol: Nonetheless we had an awesome time and special thanks to Tommy M for all the help. ag

fatfootdoc,

That is a great story, and memories that will last a lifetime. Good luck to your kids on the deer hunt!

Jeff