Sign in to follow this  
Grouse870

First javelina and some questions

Hi new here (and to Arizona been here a little over a year) I shot my first javelina this year during the spring season and had an absolute blast. Wasn’t able to get my kid a shot but got him in a few. So my question is in regards to binos and tripod (I saw the optic forum but didn’t look like a ton of traffic) I used the only binos I have which are leupold 8x32 which worked but only in the most basic sense. I had a hard time looking into the shadows and the bushes.

So I’m looking at new binos I can get vortex for a good discount so I was looking at the 15x56 diamondback hd and the high country tripod. Honestly the binos would be used for javelina and looking for legal deer and that’s about it. I’m not counting tines or anything like that. should I go that route or maybe get some viper hd 10x42 and the tripod? I’m having a hard time finding any of these in stock to actually look through. 

• Like 1

15x56 are a tripod only set of glass as they get twitchy and are hard to see anything . the 10x42 or 10x50 are good bolth free and on a tripod way less movement and easier to handle.

• Like 1

Get the best 10s you can afford on a tripod so you can keep your eyes in the glass as long as possible without discomfort or fatigue. You should be able to see button spikes at 400 yards and closer.

15s are luxury gear and lower end models provide far less value than good 10s. 

• Like 2