Sign in to follow this  
zeddro

Corner crossing in AZ

Was wondering about the posting issue as well. The area we have hunted Javalina for years is private. We just found out last year. It is not posted anywhere though. 

2 hours ago, Tight Guy said:

Just a question for thought.  What is considered a " legally posted property "   We all have been out hunting and then have come to a fence or gate that has a no trespassing sign. But didnt know we were on private until we walked up and saw the sign on the gate.

“No hunting” and “No Trespassing” are two different things.  There’s a legal definition for posting land to hunting that the game and fish regulates.  If you violate this you are in violation of a hunting rule and it is enforced by the game and fish.  Trespass is a criminal offense and it is enforced by whatever body polices the area.  Usually a county sheriffs office.  The definition of trespass is going somewhere that you have been notified by the owner that you aren’t suppsed to go.  One single “No Trespassing” sign can cover an entire ranch from a legal standpoint and if you are in there and they press charges you will lose.  

The burden of knowing what land you are on is on your shoulders.  There’s a million good options out there to know where you are every second.  I think AZ is one of the last places for that to catch on because it’s one of the few places you can go out and just hunt and not have to worry about being on private in most areas.  

8 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

“No hunting” and “No Trespassing” are two different things.  There’s a legal definition for posting land to hunting that the game and fish regulates.  If you violate this you are in violation of a hunting rule and it is enforced by the game and fish.  Trespass is a criminal offense and it is enforced by whatever body polices the area.  Usually a county sheriffs office.  The definition of trespass is going somewhere that you have been notified by the owner that you aren’t suppsed to go.  One single “No Trespassing” sign can cover an entire ranch from a legal standpoint and if you are in there and they press charges you will lose.  

The burden of knowing what land you are on is on your shoulders.  There’s a million good options out there to know where you are every second.  I think AZ is one of the last places for that to catch on because it’s one of the few places you can go out and just hunt and not have to worry about being on private in most areas.  

This is not how I understood it but I'm not saying your wrong. Last I looked at the regs on the subject I believe it said had to be posted every quarter mile, every corner and every entrance. 

Just now, CatfishKev said:

This is not how I understood it but I'm not saying your wrong. Last I looked at the regs on the subject I believe it said had to be posted every quarter mile, every corner and every entrance. 

Correct.  That’s posted for hunting purposes.  The problem is, No Trespassing just requires “reasonable notice of the owners prohibiting entry” which can be a verbal notice, or a sign and there’s no set amount of signs for that infraction.  So essentially if there’s a sign on a piece of property saying “No Trespassing” and you’re on it, they can prosecute you in the criminal system (off to the side of the Game and Fish enforcement).