Simple Hunter

Remington .300 Ultra Mag

I have have a 300 RUM since they first came out... I have setteled on the 180 gr Nolser Partition. Remington no longer has the Nosler as a factory round... good thing I have been saving my brass, so now I hand load for it. My buddy likes the 180 gr Sicorro... I bought this for long range work and the 180 has more energy down range. When you hit a buck through the engine room, very little meat is spoiled... hit one in the shoulder... well that's another story. Another important part of taking advantage of all the performance your 300 RUM gives you is your scope. I had a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Tactical modified by Premier Retice with hold over dots to 800 Yds. If I was doing it now, I buy a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x riflescope with the Rapid Z 800 yard reticle. Just remember, you can buy all the stuff... but PRACTICE is the key to long range success! Have fun! D.D.

i just loaded a buncha 180 nosler accubonds with retumbo powder last night. they have a fairly high BC. my oldest son shot a bull last year at 804 yards with this load. Lark.

If I remember right , the 200 gr. will give you the most B.C.

From Sierra bullets

308 dia. 200 gr. SBT .B.C = 560 @ 2600 fps and above

.552 between 2600 and 2300 fps

.555 between 2300 and 1900 fps

.560 @ 1900 fps

308 dia. 165 gr. SBT .B.C = 404 @ 2400 fps and above

.409 between 2400 and 1600 fps

.419 @ 1600 fps and below

.308 dia. 150 gr. SBT B.C = .380 @ 2600 fps and above

.368 between 2600 and 1800 fps

.360 @ 1800 fps and

For cooze sized game I would probaly go with flatter trajectory of a lighter weight like 150 or 165 gr.

Those Vld's might be a good compromise , are they available in any factory loads ?

i just loaded a buncha 180 nosler accubonds with retumbo powder last night. they have a fairly high BC. my oldest son shot a bull last year at 804 yards with this load. Lark.

804!! :blink: Nice shot!! ;) But, that is like, 800 further than you tought him to be, Lark!! :lol: :P :lol: :P JK....

What is the BC on that Accubond?? Also, heard good things about that Retumbo powder... is a better than say IMR powder??

Guest 300ultramag.

the retumbo is good but i have the exact same results @ 300 yds. with the IMR and its 10+ grains lighter so u get alot more bullets out of a pound of powder. besides the retumbo suggested load is a hot load.

retumbo is made for large capacity cases. probly a little better with larger bores than a .30, but it seems to work real well. i imagine there are other powders just as effective. all the info i could find on it said it was well suited to the RUM. the load i shoot is a compressed load also, which is supposed to give a little better accuracy than a loose load. when you're loading close to 100 grains per load, another 10 ain't much if it will give you a little more accuracy. just a fraction at 200 yards can be the difference between a good hit and a gutshot at 700 or so. can't remember exactly what the chronograph said, somewhere between 3200 and 3300fps. it's the only powder we've ever even tried in it. it works real well, so i never saw any reason to experiment further. i can't remember the BC of the accubonds, but it is a significant improvement over the partitions and the bullet works vey well. makes a great mushroom and retains at least as much weight as the partitions. the rifle is a christensen carbon fiber barrel with a remington 700 action, jewell trigger and a swarovksi scope with a buncha crosshairs in it. the last one is on at around 950 yards. shoots real well. i'm going to use it on my elk hunt later this year. it has a really good muzzlebreak and the recoil is pretty much nonexistant. i have to have a total shoulder joint replacement later this year and can't take much recoil at all. all my guns kick too hard to be bareable so i'm gonna try this gun o' my boys. it's nice because it only weighs about 7 1/2 pounds with the scope on it too. i think i'll pack it during deer season too to get a little more experience with it. so far it's been a real impressive rifle. there were 4 shots at over 700 yards made on game with it last year. from coues to bull elk. and a russian boar, but it was only a couple hundred yards. Lark.

Sounds like that RUM load you have there, Lark, is a good one! My 300 Wby with the 168 gr. Berger and 82 grains of IMR 7828 is right at 3250+ fps... Your boy's RUM sounds like a shooter!!! Gotta lova a gun like that!!! Best of luck on that Bull tag.... but we do expect a full report with pictures.... ;)

so far it seems to be ok. it's sorta wierd packin' around a rifle that has a fishin' pole for a barrel tho. them christensen barrels are odd lookin' things for sure. it's about as big around as a shovel handle. he bought the rifle off the rack at cabelas. seems like they have a mcmillan stock or some deal on em. aluminum bedded. i think he has about 4-5 grand in the rifle and optics and other stuff. i'm startin' to get a little antsy. been a long time since i had an Az. bull tag with my name on it. Lark.

I found the Premier Scirocco Bonded 180 grain with polymer tip but it comes in 3 power levels. If I'm shooting coues at long range which power level do I want?

My barrel is shot out on my rem 700 .300 win mag and I was considering re-chambering it for the 300 um. You guys with rem 700 .300 um, do you know if your rifle has the standard rem long action?

Thanks,

Mark

I found the Premier Scirocco Bonded 180 grain with polymer tip but it comes in 3 power levels. If I'm shooting coues at long range which power level do I want?

IMO, why have a .300 Ultra and ten "power down"? Might as well shoot a .300 WM or 300WSM for 1/2 the price.

Does anyone have any load data for 175 grain bullets? I want to load some for an upcoming elk hunt and would like some info for this round ( Berger ). Thanks.

I'm shooting 180 gr. Accubonds over 100.5 gr. of Retumbo. I'm getting 3438 fps out of a 26" Sendero and getting 1/2 moa out of it. Plenty of bunch well over 1000 yds for whatever you want to hunt,

My buddy e-mailed Berger and they sent him some load data for the 175 grain bullets. We'll try those loads along with the one you mentioned. Thanks for the info.