az4life

Wyoming Elk Hunt - Bad luck!

Just got back from a grueling hunt that had so much adversity and problems, all the material I have I could write a book on it.

Several things happened that were cool, but as luck would have it the best ones there is no proof as my camera broke when I really needed it.

Details..

Hunting in the snowy range, Last night, I was hiking a marshy area and spotted a HUGE MOOSE along a timber line. This guy is massive, Paddle tips at least 5 1/2 ft wide and so many points, oh my word.... At about 70 yards from me I watched him through a small opening in the timber as he fed in the marsh. He spotted me after about 10 minutes as I was trying to get a better look at him. I slowly backed away and he stayed motionless. Big Sigh of relief.. These things are known to be very hostile to humans...

Still wanting a better look, I tried to move in from a 45 degree side angle and felt something was not "right" after a few yards. I moved back and looked for a wider angle. Just then I hear crashing in the timberline and see a smaller (still large) moose coming my way from the sme spot I was in a monemt earlier.

This brute is following me and we are on the edge of a marsh with little cover for me. I thought about climbing a tree but put it between me and him. He saw me and came to about 20 yards. We stared at each other motionless for 5 plus minutes then he decided to go into the marsh. I went for my camera in my pack and he heard me drop to the ground, turned around and stared at me trying to get the camera up. I froze and we stared each other down again from about the same spot.

I was hunched over as he stared at me this time, and after 5 more minutes I could not take it. I started making grunt noises, Bleat called, and sort of squirrel sounds. He finally turned away and headed out in the marsh. I got my camera up and tried to zoom- it died - restarted it and it died again several times and I changed batts, it did the same thing. Never got it going and missed some GREAT pictures up close with Bullwinkle himself.

Beautiful country and today I found out why they call it the snowy range. Camped at 9600 ft and it started Blowing, snow about 10 and we barely made it to the highway slipsliding away down the road around noon.

What went wrong? Ran out of Gas on the way but coasted in a station, Chipped a back tooth on the way to the hunt, Camera died, never saw an elk (ok, I did see the tail end of one bolting through timber), grew a 6th toe on left foot, (actually turned out to be a blister the size of my little toe), got a major blister on my heel of the other foot, Hiked average 8 miles daily and did not lose even 1 pound. Chipped brand new glasses when they fell in the snow, helping putting tire chains on.

Great scenery for sure though...

Gotta unpack and plan for next year!

Sounds like a great time to me! :lol: My dad has an elk hunt there next month. No Doubt it will be cold. We just spent the day at Cabela's I told him I can't believe he just spent $200 an socks and underware!! :P But he will need it!

Hey I would have done anything to be in your place. Wyoming is the awesomest place ever. I spent so much time up there as a kid and haven't been back in 7 years.... Man 7 years what am I doing. Anyways it's always been my dream to hunt up by Jackson Hole. They say the biggest herd of elk in the world exists there in winter time. I have seen it too its pretty cool they are as far as you can see and they used to go out and feed them too. Don't know if that happens anymore. But I would hunt Wyoming anytime no matter how bad the experience makes me jealous to hear about the moose. They are getting harder to find up there from what I hear from family. I think they are just moving away from places they usually get seen at. Congrats on the experience of a lifetime staring down a Moose.