Sign in to follow this  
skunked

So. Az dog trainer

First off, hello to everyone. New member but a long time lurker. Great site and have enjoyed all the discussions and pics. I know that this has been covered, but I believe mostly through PMs'. I have two GSP, one male, one female, ten months old and am looking for a trainer in the Tucson area. I'm willing to go to Phx. if needed. Due to not having ever trained a dog to birds and my work schd., I'm concerned about not screwing them up with my lack of knowledge and inconsistent schd. Any help, recommendations, or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks, and again, great site.

If you decide to do some training on your own or would like to learn a bit check out "Gun Dog" by Wolters. Its pretty old but its a great book and what I used as a base to train my two pointers. The best though is to talk to those who have trained a few dogs, and they are good dogs, and get advice from them.

But its completly understandable if you want someone else to train them, it requires a lot of time. The best thig you can do for a dog though, once they are started, is to take them out a TON. They will make mistakes but they learn and nothing bets that realy world experince.

Call Dave Higgins of the Cochise Bird Dog Club, he knows everyone and could recommend. If you want a good trainer up here, then I recommend Tony Marquez of Desert Creek Kennels 623.512.8496. He has trained two of mine and myself. I owe a lot of what I know to him. I have sent several people to him and never got a complaint.

ER