Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

12 minutes ago, oz31p said:

It also makes a nice touch to a whiskey sour or old fashion. 

If I drink whisky my right eye gets real squinty and then a little later I get my butt kicked. 

• Haha 1

I made some more tonight, I don’t think the jelly I made this morning is gonna set up. I used more pectin and cooked it a little hotter. And used a little more sugar 

2442D266-C9A5-48CC-98B0-1C97EDCEEC20.jpeg

19 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Pretty earthy till you add equal parts sugar and some lemon juice. 

I do some canning/jarring (meats, veggies, etc.), but have never done any jelly or jams.  I'm super curious on the taste, though.  My mom used to make pomegranate jelly when I was a kid.  It was tasty, but to me it sort of tasted like any other jelly; sweet.  (Maybe she used too much sugar...)

Does this stuff really have a distinctive/unique taste?   Elaborate on 'earthy'??

2 hours ago, stanley said:

I do some canning/jarring (meats, veggies, etc.), but have never done any jelly or jams.  I'm super curious on the taste, though.  My mom used to make pomegranate jelly when I was a kid.  It was tasty, but to me it sort of tasted like any other jelly; sweet.  (Maybe she used too much sugar...)

Does this stuff really have a distinctive/unique taste?   Elaborate on 'earthy'??

Make some and find out 

• Thanks 1