Sign in to follow this  
AZ402

New Varmint Gun

Well I gave into the paranoia and bought the last Remington R-15 I could find in PHX last night. Any suggestion on what to top it off with? I've never owned an AR type rifle before. I was thinking about a fixed Leupold 6x36?

P1160007.jpg

Nice, I was looking ar the R-15 then the R-25 in a .243 when they came out. I never picked one though, now i'll probably be kickin myself. I was gonna put a cabelas alaskan guide 4.5-14 on top. (have one on a 70 in a 223wssm and like it) I would want something variable at least up to 9 in case I happened into some prarie dogs. 4-12 would be nice too

That is an awesome looking rifle! I put a Zeiss conquest on my AR, but you cant really go wrong with a Leupold either! Does it have a chrome lined barrel?

Barrel specs:

"Free-floating button-rifled 0.680" Muzzle OD ChroMoly barrels with recessed hunting crown"

Nice looking rig. The last one I built I went with quick detatch scope mount and a close out Redhead 1.5 - 4.5 illuminated reticle cheapy scope. I payed $69 for the scope and I have already beat the crap out of it on my scouting trips but it still holds zero. The bell is now egg shaped. It all depends on what you want it for, if you plan on shooting some distance with it then I would get at least a 6x scope.

Most importantly start picking up magazines and ammo now, it's already getting harder to find ammo.

Thats a beautiful piece, I would go with a scope on the lower end. Some thing like a 3X9 or even 1x3.

Heard they shoot pretty good too.

Clint

I've got a DPMS AR-10 that I put an EOTech red dot scope on and I just bought a Sig Sauer 556 that I will be putting another EOTech red dot scope on. I wouldn't say that EOTech's are the best for long range, but they are very good out to 300 yards or so. Although I do enjoy shooting targets and coyotes with my black guns there main purpose is self defense in the event the chit ever hits the fan and there is nothing better than the EOTech's for that!

+1 on the buy magazines and ammo comment! I went into J&G gun sales here in Prescott the day after the election and they were swamped! The guy that helped me said they were running low on most of there ammo and had sold over 70,000 rounds so far that day. They were also sold out of Colt and Rock River Arms AR-15's and just had a few of the lower quality rifles left. With the military contracts with ammo manufacturers going on for another two years and the results of the election I think there will be some shortages and price increases. We've already seen shortages on primers and brass in the last year or so. I don't think the sky is falling... yet, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Nice Stanly! I remember hunting by the old elementry back in the day when you had that rugger muli loader. I think this one will treat you rather nicely. My how the time flies. Whoa!