Kilimanjaro

El Senor Cordorniz de Gambel

Well, this is my first PE of the season.. Havent had too much luck with recent bird hunts with the hot weather and lack of real hunting time on my end. My coues hunt was a bust as well. But I made it a point to get the pups out this evening for a quick run 'round for a covey or two in a spot thats always produced birds for me. This hunt pleasently suprised me. I was going out more to excersize the pups and get our kinks worked out for the upcoming Mearns season, and came home with a grin from ear to ear.

I swung by and picked up Casey and we were in the area in no time. And as usual, the locale didn't disappoint!! We were into birds from the moment we got out of the truck till we had to pull the dogs back because of darkness. While we surely didnt hold up our end of the bargin with shooting, the dogs did wonderfully. We were given a show of bird finding, honoring and backing, and just all around good dog work!! We did manage to scratch down a handful to show the pups that we were trying!!

Only problem with this hunt was that is was only about 2 1/2 hrs long! It was one of those afternoons that you don't want to end.

Gambel's country

DSC02817.jpg

A special place to someone else too long, long ago.

DSC02804.jpg

PINNED DOWN!! (Of course I missed him!)

DSC02808.jpg

Pay dirt!!

DSC02812.jpg

Gotta love it..

DSC02822.jpg

Thanks for lookin' guys!!

Great post SB. I am glad you and FCW80 had such a wonderful afternoon. Those trips that meet any and all expectations will warmly live long.

I too will be down for the Mearn's opener, hunting for three days. Best to you.

Sounds like fun. I was able to get out this am for the first time this year. Didn't find to many birds, was trying out a new spot, but the ones we did get into were scallies, which I wanted, and to my suprise I coundn't miss. I had 1 double, 1 triple and a double on doves. suprised the heck out of myself. Dogs did good as well despite the tuff senting conditions. O' and we jumped 4 bucks, given the area I thought they would be mule deer but to my suprise the were whitetails. I have seen whitetails in some low stuff before but nothing like this area.

I was hopeing the desert quail were going to be a bit better then what I have seen and heard, I hope mearns turns out to be a great year.