ultrahunter

Newbie with questions

Hi all. This is my first post. I am a long time archery mulie and elk hunter from the infamous Unit 2 in Northern NM. This will be my first shot at the "grey ghost"!!! I'm absolutely stoked! I have a NM unit 24 tag and have never hunted the area. Here are my questions.

1: Where the deer are in unit 24-Not the specific ponderosa pine just general high pop. areas. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2: What approach you all would take? Spot and Stalk? Rattling? I'm not a purist but I won't hunt from a tree stand. Any thoughts?

3: Scouting: I have two good scouting cams and am curious if there is anything specific to coues that would make them more effective than just setting them on water? I'll only have two days to scout before the season starts on 1/1, so my plan is to have the cameras out in other areas while I hunt.

Sorry for all the questions, just can't wait to have one in my glass!!!!

I am sorry to act this way but your first post should not be E-Scouting.

Good luck on your hunt.

Question #1

Underneath a specific ponderosa

Question #2

Yes and Yes.

May think about a tree stand.

Question #3

I guess the only thing to say here is

You Need to spend more time scouting.

Once again.

Best of luck on your hunt.

and yes I did not have a Bad day.

Welcome to the site Ultrahunter.

I wish I had some unit 24 info to trade for some unit 2 info but I have never been to unit 24. It sounds like you are on the right track though.

Glass, glass and glass until your butt hurts, then glass and glass some more until you find them........once you find them....you'll have all the answer to your questions.

Good luck and welcome! :) Remember to take lots of pictures and we will be waiting for the story.

Ernesto C

Nice welcome from gamehauler! Guess he is the administrator on what is and isn't allowed as a first question. To clarify, I'm not e-scouting. I'm new to Coues, and was looking for people with a passion for the sport that were willing to set me in the right direction. I thought that was what this site was about. Pretentious a-holes like you are the reason the commraderie of hunting is dying. If you thought I was out of line, you simply could have not replied.......but that's not your style is it? So I officially apologize Oh King and Premier Member! .......Classless

Nice welcome from gamehauler! Guess he is the administrator on what is and isn't allowed as a first question. To clarify, I'm not e-scouting. I'm new to Coues, and was looking for people with a passion for the sport that were willing to set me in the right direction. I thought that was what this site was about. Pretentious a-holes like you are the reason the commraderie of hunting is dying. If you thought I was out of line, you simply could have not replied.......but that's not your style is it? So I officially apologize Oh King and Premier Member! .......Classless

In GH's defence it does happen quite often.

New member who asks for info...never heard from again.

So don't take it so hard because if GH did not say it someone else would have... and on any other site as well.

Good luck and Welcome.

yo Ultrahunter wait a second. It is a basic question of manners. Would you go up to some local in 24 and without introduction start asking where the deer are? Tell us about yourself. show us a picture of an elk or a mule. Say something bad about game and fish. Contribute to some other post and maybe ask in the New Mexico section. Secondly please don't get so sensitive I thought hunter were suppose to be tough. His royal highness Game Hauler may have you shackled and quartered for being disrespectful.

Bob

Fine, but in my defense this is a coues information website. I've never hunted them, and I made it very clear that I wasn't looking for specific info. I mean look at what I wrote. How to scout them, what techniques to use in January. I hardly feel that's encroaching on "secret spots". A little, "I like to glass the South hillsides early in the morning, I like to set my scouting cam near ...." would have been appreciated. It wasn't like I was looking for, "Turn right at the big yucca and then ...." You guys kinda seem eliteist. I don't share my secrets with other hunters either, but that was hardly what I was looking for.

Say something bad about game and fish.

:lol: :lol:

ultrahunter, try that spot just up past the cattleguard...

Just kidding ya! I don't know anything about that area. Good Luck!

Man, my feelings are getting hurt by everyone! First newbies get reamed, then veterans get disrespected, and then my beloved mulies get called carp! Yikes! Good luck on your hunt. Ten years from now when I halfway know what I'm doing when it comes to hunting Coues deer I'll fill you in. Until then, grab a paddle because we're in the same boat.

Gee guys. There is no great mystery to bowhunting coues. You find out where the deer live. Then you figure out a way to get close enough to kill one, before GF bans that tactic. Really no different then any other animal you hunt. Every bowhunting tactic has worked on a coues. All that eastern whitetail hunting methods will work: grunting, scrapes, baiting ;), ect. I prefer to spot and stalk. During the rutt I like to rove (walk around) hunt with a grunt tube looking for bucks going from Doe A to Doe B. If I am taking a newbee hunting I set up a blind on water. I feel this method is probably the best way to get a close shot and harvest an animal. I have never hunted NM or unit 24. But if did I would probably get on the internet and E-scout first.

Bob

Aaahhhhh guys..................I just love the Christmas Spirit floating around us here in cwt.com! :lol:

Ultrahunter, my name is Ernesto C. The "old guys" here hate me because I always came to the rescue of the newbies. :) Dont feel bad my friend and I hope you stay with us for looooong time. I hope you do really good on your hunts and let us know about it and show this guys they are wrong! With buck or no buck down still tell us your story because the success of a hunt is not in the killing!

If I knew about the areas you are asking I will tell you.......but unfortunally......I dont know it all (sometimes is a good thing) :) I hope you enjoy your hunt(s) and enjoy cwt.com.

Thanks Ernesto. I won't forget the welcome. If you ever need info on hunting REAL DEER ;) ie. mulies in NM Unit 2, you just let me know. To the rest of you......Good job of ribbing, but I give as good as I take. From the sounds of it, you guys might as well start diverting water from the Colorado and start planting fields of Biologic and building heated stands in front of your tripod feeders. Godd luck turning Arizona into another Texas. :)

Thanks Ernesto. I won't forget the welcome. If you ever need info on hunting REAL DEER ;) ie. mulies in NM Unit 2, you just let me know. To the rest of you......Good job of ribbing, but I give as good as I take. From the sounds of it, you guys might as well start diverting water from the Colorado and start planting fields of Biologic and building heated stands in front of your tripod feeders. Godd luck turning Arizona into another Texas. :)

Now you got it ;)

But the REAL DEER comment is for crap :lol: :lol: :P