Sign in to follow this  
AZn8tiv

Nother New Guy...

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum here, not the site though. I've been checking in on this site since I got hooked on coues in 2006. My first time to put in for deer I drew a Dec. hunt in 36B! I was also fortunate enough to harvest my first deer, thanks to the help and knowledge of a good friend of mine who's been hunting for years. Though I got him with a rifle I'll go ahead and post a picture later. We spotted him at about 1800 yards and stalked in close enough for a 354 yrd shot. The reason I posted my greet here is I bought a bow this year and am looking forward to getting heavy into archery hunting. Getting in close enough for a shot with a rifle is such a rush, I can't imagine trying to get in for a shot with a bow, but I'm ready and looking forward to the challenge! :ph34r: As I mentioned in another thread today, I've put in for a javelina archery tag and am looking forward to that, and of course I'll be getting my archery deer tag as well. I'm shooting a Darton Tempest at 70# draw, and Beeman ICS arrows. I'm in the process now in choosing broadheds, but I'm thinking about going with the good ol Muzzy's or Montecs new Stikers. Any thoughts on those? Anyway, hi all, its good to be here. Looking forward to sharing my hunting experiences with you all and just shootin the bull too. - AZn8tiv B)

I had a very bad experience with Muzzy's on an elk. For coues they'd probably be fine. I like the Montec G5's and the Rocky Mountain "Snypers"-a mechanical. I know I'll get hammered for adding this, but I think the Snyper is the best performing broadhead out there. The only problem is keeping them from expandingin your quiver.

As far as broadheads go, which ever one you can get to fly the best is the best broadhead you can shoot. There's no replacement for accuracy. And in reality, 90% of the heads on any wall in any sporting goods store will be fine if they can be shot accurately. I shoot tekans by G5 currently, and have had great success. It'll take some experimenting and tuning your bow, tuning your broadheads is essential.

Thanks for the info guys. I know my buddy just shot his 8th elk this past September using Muzzy's so I think it's probably a fairly reliable broadhead, but I suppose many broadheads out there are, it just comes down to shot placement and preference. I've read and heard nothing but good reviews on both broadheads, but most people stress that the strikers fly just like fieldpoints with no readjustments to your bow. I'm leaning towards those with that being one reason in addition to most people mentioning their game not going far after the shot. It's probably going to take some trial and error on my part ultimately.

no, you're not that good (ha!) I don't know actually, but I've never lined up mine.

Thanks for the input SBD, going with a 3 blade, do I have to line up the vanes with the blades?

no, you're not that good (ha!) I don't know actually, but I've never lined up mine.

Thanks for the input SBD, going with a 3 blade, do I have to line up the vanes with the blades?

Your right I'm not that good, how'd you know, haha. I had heard something about lining them up when you use three blade broadheads so I wasn't sure. Thanks again for the input!

Think about it. If you use inserts it would be impossible to line up the broadhead and have the broadhead tight. The threads of the inserts end where they end. Muzzy use to make glue on broadheads which would be possible to line up. I use the four blade. I would have a hard time lining them up. Just worry about the heads spinning true like your ceiling fan and that your bow is tuned. Having your bow in tune is the most important thing in getting good fixed blade flight.

Bob

Your right I'm not that good, how'd you know, haha. I had heard something about lining them up when you use three blade broadheads so I wasn't sure. Thanks again for the input!

Like someone has already said, look for accuracy first! With my set up, 4 blade 100grain muzzy's is the best I have found. JMO!

from a physics perspective, there is no reason to line up your blades with vanes or feathers. they are not trying to compete with each other to control the flight of the arrow. the real issue is when a broadhead sits in an insert at an angle, because it will then cause the arrow to deviate from a natural arc, and at that point the vanes will always be trying to correct the arrow flight. you can see this when your arrow oscillates or "corkscrews" in an uneven manner. G5 makes a tool for truing the ends of your arrow shafts before and after the inserts are in to make sure that the broadhead sits square in the shaft. another tool by pine mountain archery is called the arrow inspector which allows you to spin the arrow to check for oscillations in the broadhead. if you don't want to spend the money, just spin the arrow on the tip of the broadhead on something flat like a desk. but be careful, those blades don't kill animals because they're dull.

Yeah, that all makes good sense. A few of my questions were definately just answered. Thanks for all the input. Now to decide between the Muzzy or Strikers.... Sounds like Muzzy is a favorite..

My advice is to try any broadhead you can get your hands on. I did and now I shoot the newest tekkans and love them but one thing for sure is shooting it into an elk would probably tweek it like a lot of other broadheads. Go pick up some MUzzys at a Wal mart since a lot of them are on sale and shoot some to see if you like them

By the way, just a quick update, Wal-Mart's $9.00 packs of Muzzy's helped me choose a BH! ;) I've been shooting them this past week, and I like them so far. I had to adjust my sites a skoche, as it was hitting just a bit low and to the left, but they're hitting dead center now! Thanks again for all the advise, now for the hard part... :ph34r: Deer, pig, lion, something!...