I picked up a pound of TAC, going to try it with some Berger 168 VLDs. Lots of powder to try.

If you can find it, Accurate 2520 is excellent in the .308.   I have mostly used it w/ 168 SMK in an M14 for NRA high power, including 1k.  You could load a bolt gun hotter of course.

Nowadays I just use it for mid-range in cal. '06 with 150 gr. bullets.  Very mild and accurate.  

On 6/11/2023 at 8:26 PM, Mocha1545 said:

My 308 loves IMR4064

Ditto on 4064

Your dilemma is that you have 20 inches of barrel. In order to get the speed up on 160-168g bullets you will need a powder on the faster side like H4895. H4895 is even more difficult to find than Varget. However both of these have temp stability coating where TAC does not. The new Staball has this feature but is a bit on the slower side. Benchmark works well in a 20 inch barrel and has temp stability coating. Slower burning powders will give you higher extreme spread in that 20 inch barrel. Food for thought.

Thank you for the info! I am open to about any powder that works. Again I am a novice at best but I am having fun learning about this stuff.

Hello, I just wanted to give an update. I tried several combinations of powder and bullets and I finally settled on 168 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets with Varget powder. I played with the seating depth and made them a little longer based on my free bore jump length.  The pic is a 10 shot group and the squares are inch squares from 100 yards.  Most of the shots are touching and the velocity is 2625fps. I found a winner. I am very happy with this considering i am a novice at reloading. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Chad

IMG_5595.jpg

• Like 2