Sign in to follow this  
JOsdieck

Coues Rut Dates

Hey all. I'm new to Arizona and love deer hunting. I grew up in Ks, and have been hunting deer on some land in North Eastern Ks for the last few years. I've been hunting with a bow, and just picked up a rifle that I'm looking forward to using to put a few Az critters on the table with. If it's a secret, by all means keep it a secret and I'll figure it out. If it's not a secret, I'd love to know when the rut is for any coues that I might find in the hills closest to Mesa.

Thanks.

-Joe

Rattling can work, but since deer densities tend to be low, it's hard to be effective by just going somewhere and rattling. Best to try and find some bucks and then set up to rattle them in closer. Not many people have had a lot of luck with scents, but I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work. It might work best if you had a stand on a trail and put some out. That way the buck would stop and investigate the scent while you pulled off the shot.

Here is a link to some info on hunting strategies:coues hunting strategies

Amanda

I haven't had any luck with rattling, but I did bring in one forkie with a doe in estrus scent.

Bowsniper

the rut starts on 14th. not sure when it ends. ok, i'm makin' a funny. but i did see that on one o' them eastern whitetail hunt shows. there was this doofy dork talkin' about how he was gonna kill a monster over a cornflinger the next day. and he said, and i ain't kiddin', "today is november 13th, and the rut starts on november 14th". i've heard you can set your watch by eastern whitetail, but this is just dumb. i guess them easterns really are predictable.

I don't know if it's like clockwork, but supposedly the rut is pretty predictable back home. I've only been home for the tail end of the rut though when the deer are winding down.

Thanks again for the info.

-Joe