Sign in to follow this  
HuntKaibab

Do grunt calls work?

Well while at sportsmans warehouse last night i was over in the game calls and for the first time saw grunt calls for both mule deer and coues. Just wondering if anyone has every used them before and how the worked out, and my dad has a rattling bag he uses when he goes to hunt on our property in wisconsin. How does rattling work on these western deer? thanks - mike

I have used a grunt call a few times but my grunt call is not a coues (if there is any difference). I have had only one fork horn head twards me but of course pulled a hat trick. The other times it has not worked. The bucks will look in my direction but they don't seem to care. I don't know too much about calling them in and all I have ever seen was deer killed at salt & water while sitting there and not calling or by stalking them. Sorry I can't really help. This will probably be like the salt disscution I have had with some people. They ask if the deer cane works, well from my trial & errors no. I have also heard from some people that it works well up north. Just my 2 cents.

They seem to work on the TV shows...of course the deer populations and terrain are diffrent than here. So I don't know if they will work...but I bought a rattle bag and a buck roar gunna give her a whirl this weekend...

I have heard a coues buck grunting exactly like my grunt call before - however, I have never got them to respond to it. Strange. I have only seen bucks fighting once in my entire 20 years of hunting in Arizona so ... maybe the bucks are less territorial and aren't challenged by the competing grunt. Just a guess...

There is one thing i can tell hunters that dont beleive in calls is THEY DO WORK. I have used calls for a year now and have called many deer including bucks.

I know they can work but of course they do not always work. A hunting buddy of mine missed a whitetail with his bow from a tree stand, only to call it back in with a grunt call and kill it.

I think a lot has to do with deer densities also. Back east larger concentrations of bucks create more competition between them making calls more effective. I heard that like most calls sometimes they come running sometimes they go running.

We've used the bleat mostly on mule deer. The bucks do come but I always thought they were just following the does because we have only used them during the archery season in Dec./Jan.