Sign in to follow this  
RowdyLife3

Unit 31

My wife and I picked up a unit 31 whitetail tag this November.  Last time I was in this unit was 20 years ago. I will be traveling from Kingman to hunt the area. I'm going to try and get down that way for some scouting but do not anticipate a lot of time to get as familiar with the unit as I would like. I've been reading other forums and azgfd website.  If anyone is willing to steer me in a good direction, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I’d stay up high and glass down lower than where I’m at. Unless you find a good bowl to glass up in to! If that happens then be prepared to walk to a higher elevation. If you happen to find something while glassing down hill then be aware of the negative elevation change. The thing to really watch out for is ridges. If you see something straight on, it may not be the distance you range. You may have to go up and down ridges to get a shot. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1

If you remember where you hunted before I would go there. A couple big fires have happened over the last 20 years so some areas are pretty thick from the re-growth (mostly from the Nuttall fire in 2004). The Frye fire from 2017 cleaned some of the old burn scar up but also cleaned up a few other areas. A good vantage point just about anywhere on Mt. Graham will produce deer, a good buck may require some sweating.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, RowdyLife3 said:

My wife and I picked up a unit 31 whitetail tag this November.  Last time I was in this unit was 20 years ago. I will be traveling from Kingman to hunt the area. I'm going to try and get down that way for some scouting but do not anticipate a lot of time to get as familiar with the unit as I would like. I've been reading other forums and azgfd website.  If anyone is willing to steer me in a good direction, it would be greatly appreciated. 

How was it?