Ron G.

Havalon Piranta Edge Hunting Knife Review

Havalon Piranta Edge Hunting Knife

I thought I’d post up a quick review of a gift I received for Christmas from my kids. I’ve been eyeing this knife for a while, but there always seemed to be something else to spend my money on. The best way to describe the Havalon Piranta knife is that it is a folding scalpel. Surgical sharp removable blades make this one heck of a sharp knife.

The Piranta’s handle is constructed from lightweight, durable orange zytel military plastic. The overall length of the knife open is 7-1/4. It has easy-grip rubber side panels, ambidextrous thumb studs for one-hand opening, locking blade, lanyard hole, and pocket clip.

Pictures of the knife (before it was cleaned…)

P1080319.jpg

P1080320.jpg

P1080322.jpg

P1080325.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be able to use my Piranta knife on Mr and Mrs Smith’s deer hunt at the end of December. As Dave King started working on Mrs Smith’s buck, I whipped out my new knife and requested he give this one a try. It sliced through the hide and muscle like butter, literally. Everyone was extra careful to keep out of the way of that knife.

P1080236.jpg

P1080242.jpg

The knife comes with 12 extra 2 3/4” stainless steel blades that are individually packaged. The instructions recommend using pliers (multi-tool) until experienced changing out blades for safety reasons. I can honestly say that after reading about and using this knife myself, this is the only knife I’ve ever owned that I’ve been a little afraid of.

When Mr. Smith had his buck on the ground, I whipped out my Piranta knife again, put in a new blade, and went to work. About the only thing this blade wouldn’t do is pry apart joints or cut through bone, and I noticed that is what dulled it most was when bumping up against bone and or cutting a lot of hide/hair.

What I especially liked and attracted me to this knife was it being so sharp, and so light weight. No longer are the days of having to carry multiple knives and a sharpener in your pack. I used one blade per deer, and it was about perfect. I figure a blade, or maybe two would process an elk. This knife will definitely be accompanying me on all my hunts along with 3-4 extra blades.

This particular knife retails for about $39.99. It comes with 12 pointed blades, and extra pointed or blunt blades can be bought in packages of 12 ($6.95) and 100 ($39.95). A nylon holster is $5.95. All of these prices are from the Outdoorsman’s web site:

http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/category.sc?categoryId=44

For anyone who hates sharpening or isn’t good at sharpening knives, wants a lightweight and super sharp knife, I’d highly recommend this knife. The only downside to this knife is it is totally utilitarian, meaning it doesn’t have the stigma or good looks of a nice custom knife. I am looking forward to hopefully using it on my own downed animal in the near future.

I watched that knife in action on Matthewp45's hunt. It's very impressive. It scares me to death though. I am afraid that I will hurt myself just putting those blades on and off!!

Since outdoorsman's is a sponsor here, I will leave up that commercial link. Thanks for the review!

Amanda

Great write-up! I have one of the Piranta's and have completely gutted, skinned, caped and quartered 2 full elk with 1 blade! I forgot to bring extra blades with me so I didn't have a choice and was surprised how sharp it still was after the 2 bulls! I use mine to cut legs off at the joints, but as described, you definitely don't pry with this knife. Also you have to be very carefull when cutting thick hide such as the dorsal cut on an elk, the hide will grab and twist the blade causing it to snap. Outstanding knives for sure, just gotta be very careful with them! JIM>

I have seen Jims in action on my Mexico buck, and Scottyboy has pretty much the same thing and I have seen that 'cut like butter'. I want to get one, but I can put a pretty decent edge on a knife with a stone. Gas money saved!

I have a few of these knives and there awesome. I have skinned and boned a few deer with them and its the best knive I have ever used. There so sharp there scarey.

I also own one of these knives and I really like it. I have been using them alot lately on coyotes and with the blade that is rounded on the end they work great for skinning out the heads and faces. The are very light weight as well even with a couple of extra blades in the pack, In order to get the blades off sometimes when they are sticky I use a screwdriver just to pop the backside of the blade to move it forward in the groove. Then it pops rigth off. They have there own website to buy directly as well.

Nice review and I agree. I have been recommending this knife since December of 07 and have received nothing but very positive comments on it. I carry the Havalon with a Randall model #5 Camp and Trail Knife, a Buck Ranger #112 and a Gerber Sportsmans Saw.

Wade

www.HardcoreOutdoor.com