Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

First turkey for me

A bear coming  in to your call at 30 yds will  get your attention  quickly.  I now get a otc tag just in case . It will probably  never happen  again  .

43 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

A bear coming  in to your call at 30 yds will  get your attention  quickly.  I now get a otc tag just in case . It will probably  never happen  again  .

Chris how long into the calling did it come in what call were you using?

13 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Chris how long into the calling did it come in what call were you using?

It was probably  about 10 minutes  in . I was using  a  hs strut raspy old hen box call.  I had a bird responding  and working  my way then it went quiet. I figured  maybe  I over called so I picked  up my decoys and hit the call one more time and out the bear stepped.  When he got to twenty I figured  I'd better  back out slowly   . Had my 10mm with me as I seem to have had a spell of running  into bears .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

It was probably  about 10 minutes  in . I was using  a  hs strut raspy old hen box call.  I had a bird responding  and working  my way then it went quiet. I figured  maybe  I over called so I picked  up my decoys and hit the call one more time and out the bear stepped.  When he got to twenty I figured  I'd better  back out slowly   . Had my 10mm with me as I seem to have had a spell of running  into bears .

Yeah that's always a concern on the spring hunts I have been on as their always out of the den by then. I've called exclusively for them a bunch but I'm no Reed Petersen. My only bear was a solo spot and stalk in 2000.