Sdupont

Question about Access and Road conditions

Hey guys, 

I am coming Coues deer hunting next October or November 2024.  I have 6 Bonus points as a non resident so I should have a decent chance of drawing most units for the early hunts. 
I have a question about road conditions. I drive a 2WD truck and was wondering - which units will I be able to get around in with minimal issue? I totally understand that 4wd is preferred in Arizona but I do 99% of my driving on the flattest pavement in the United States so I never really saw the need for 4wd where I live. 

I have narrowed my unit choices to 29, 33, 34a, 36a and 21 but am open to all suggestions. These just happen to be units I have done research on. 
If there is a different unit that is easier to get around in, then I will give it a go. I did hunt 34a several years ago and I was able to go to lots of areas but there were plenty of areas that I had trouble navigating. I have a friend that hunts 34a which is why I go there but this year I’m  looking for 2wd friendly options…..if they even exist. Maybe I’m just searching for a unicorn! 

Thanks in Advance. 

Don't know 34a, but 30b, and 35a have plenty of 2wd access.  I just drove middlemarch pass in 30b a couple weeks ago and I was surprised just how much access there was for a unit known for little access.  Never had to use 4x4.

Also, you would also be surprised how versatile a 2wd can be with a locker in the rear and a little added weight. Add a winch in the front and you are almost unstoppable.  

• Like 2

Any of the border units will have plenty of access for a 2wd.  Border Patrol is all over the place so most of the roads are well used. Plus if you hike a bit you will be even better off.

• Like 2