Sign in to follow this  
TR0UBLE SH00TER

Never too old to learn. Successful antler-less hunt.

I got a late start to hunting. I moved to AZ from Sarasota in 2003. I've fished AZ quite a bit but only started to hunt in 2019. 

The main reason I decided to start was I wanted my two son's to practice some of the numerous skills and traits that hunting

teaches like patience, persistence and discipline. And to have them spend as much time outside enjoying nature as possible.

I did draw an early antler-less tag in a good unit my first year applying and I was successful on that hunt. And even though

I did my pre-scouting and camped in the unit before hand that season, I basically shot a fish in a barrel, on morning three.

I've been applying for a late, antler-less hunt closer to home the past two years and drew tags. Both of those hunts ended 

with my tags still in hand but I learned tons about the unit and elk scouting and hunting in general.

Now, it seems to me like maybe old dad's the one out there learning some of the lessons I wanted my son's to practice while

hunting and scouting. Because after two years, a lot of patience, persistence, discipline and disappointment, I think I may have

a good grasp of this unit and antler-less elk hunting. Because after scouting, camping and spending countless hours on OnX

I came up with a good plan A, B and C and was finally able to fill the freezer with elk meat this season, on opening morning! 

I'm looking forward to many more years of spending time out in nature with my boys and coming home with tasty, healthy food.

IMG-1848.jpgIMG-2714.jpgIMG-2794.jpg

MD2.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

Way to go . The late hunts can be a challenge  . Weather  plays into movement for us and the elk .

Challenge excepted!

Hopefully I can formulate a good enough strategy going forward to secure a fairly constant source of elk meat for my family.

Here's what a .308 Nosler Accubond 165 grain does to a set of elk lungs, at 290 yards.

IMG-1849.jpg

• Like 6