Sign in to follow this  
SouthernCouesHunter

Tagged a nice buck

4:00 rolled around way to early after spending most of the night up working from home. At 5:00 made my way to the hunting spot to meet up with coocoo4coues and Coues Archer. Arriving at 5:30, we formulated our plan of attack and headed to our area. We were set and ready at 6:15 waiting for enough light to start glassing. As soon as it was light enough to glass, we spotted a nice buck to our north and another to the south. A little while later we spotted another buck about 250 yards in front of us. Coues Archer pulled out the rattlin' horns and began to rattle. Between the rattlin' and the Modern Call Coues Deer Call, the deer was on a straight path to us. He was a decent size deer, but not exactly the quality that I was looking for, so Coues Archer was the chosen archer to attempt to bag this fast approaching deer. The deer approached to 32 yards until he came to a screeching halt. Coues Archer let one fly that ended up sailing over the deer. We watched the deer move off to the south of us and head out of sight. A few minutes later we spot another buck traveling with a doe and heading slightly away from us, so Coues Archer lets out a few more rattles and grunts and the doe turns and begins to head our way quickly. When the doe got to within 20 yards, she began to be very cautious and stare at us as she made her way by us. At that point we were unable to draw on the buck (30 yards) for fear that we would be busted and both would bolt. We waited until the doe was clear, but something must have caught her attention when we attempted to draw on the buck. She blew and the buck turned. He trotted off about 50 more yards then turned and made his way back to follow the doe. As he approached, we all came to full draw. At this point the deer was 60 yards away and didn't look like he was going to come in any closer. I waited for coocoo4coues and Coues Archer to shoot, but when I realized that they hadn't shot, I didn't want to let this buck get away. I hit the release and a brief second later heard every archery hunters favorite sound. THWACK!!!!!!!!!

We watched the deer move off in front of us and walk about 400 yards. He wasn't moving very fast, but he also wasn't looking as if he was hit very well. We watched him walk into a clump of tall grass then lost sight of him. We glassed for several more minutes waiting to see if he would come out the other side, but never saw him exit. At that point, we figured that we would edge our way up and see if we could find the arrow and see if it was coated in good blood or gut blood. When we found the arrow, it had sunk in about 16 inches and the blood was bright red. We looked around for more blood and marked the starting point. At that moment we picked up another buck moving across toward us and figured it might be another opertunity for a good shot. Grunting the deer into about 50 yards, coocoo4coues let one fly. May have been an awesome shot if it weren't for the grass deflecting the arrow. We watched as the deer ran away from us. Kept an eye on him for several minutes and noticed that he was circling back around our way. We made our way closer to him and began grunting again. Again this deer made his way to within range. This time coocoo4coues shoots over the deers back. All of us thought that he was 50 yards away, but turned out that he was only 35 yards or so.

After watching the deer high tail it out of our sight, we glass around to see if there are any other bucks within calling distance. When we see that there isn't, we decide to go back to where we marked the blood trail and decided to follow it. We follow a wonderful blood trail all the way to where we last saw the buck go into the tall grass. With the amount of blood that was on the blood trail and the time that had passed since I shot the buck (hour and 40 minutes), we thought for sure that the buck had bedded down in the tall grass and expired. We eased our way into the tall grass, still following a pronounced blood trail. What happened next was every archers worst fear. The buck jumped up from where he was bedded and darted through the tall grass. At that moment my heart sank. Coocoo4coues sprinted to the highest point to watch for the deer coming out of the tall grass. After several minutes no deer had shown itself. At that point, we decided to leave the deer until we could get more help, which was already on its way. We waited around 40 minutes for my wife and my best friend and his wife to show up to help. After explaining where we had last seen the deer and explaining that we never saw him come out of the grass, we formulated a plan. We left one person at the highest point that we could so that person could glass anything that came out of the tall grass. Two people went around to the front of the patch and the others of us went back in to follow the blood trail. When we returned to the place that we had kicked him up, we followed the blood trail about 20 more yards and another deer bolted out of the grass. At that point I was cursing at myself and felt really really bad. Until I heard the spotter yell out that it was a doe and not the buck that I was after. We continued on the blood trail for another 30 or so yards and there he was curled up and expired. All and All he had gone about 60 more yards after we had kicked him up before he finally crashed. I was so relieved.

post-960-1232388143_thumb.jpg

Needless to say it was an awesome hunt. In all we saw 9 bucks that morning and took 4 shots at 3 different bucks.

I would like to say thank you to Coues Archer for calling them in and to coocoo4coues and my best friend and his wife for helping me track him down and pack him out.

Here are some pictures.............

post-960-1232387603_thumb.jpg

post-960-1232387743_thumb.jpg

post-960-1232388376_thumb.jpg

Coues Archer, myself, and coocoo4coues

post-960-1232389373_thumb.jpg

Late addition after approval to put a picture of him on here.

My best friend and myself

post-960-1232404888_thumb.jpg

Congrats!!! Great buck and a Great hunt!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Sweet buck congrats. too bad everyone didn't get one, sounds like you guys are the best callers out there. :blink:

It was a dream hunt. Coues Archer is truly a master at calling those bad boys in. I know what some of you boyz may be thinking, but I saw it with my own eyes! It was like something out of the Cabelas Trophy Bucks game! I will never forget that hunt, and will be telling the story for years to come. I had my shot ops, but didn't connect...it just wasn't in the cards for my that day. Once I get over "CHOKING", I'll be back out to the range to ensure it doesn't happen again! Hats off to my bud, SouthernCouesHunter...he really worked his butt off to bag this buck. In all, he's been out there nearly every weekend since mid Dec, scouting, setting up game cams, sitting tree stands, and wearing out his boots to hit our honey hole. I've tagged along with him every chance I get, and have had a blast thus far. There's a buck out there with my name on his hind end. I'll be back!

Congrats again, my friend. ;)

Where can you find the coues call at? :unsure:

I picked one up at Sportsman's Wharehouse. It's a small, and orange in color. One thing to note is that the call is most effective during the rut and when used in combination with rattling.

This hunt was so intense and fun even though i missed a descent buck. It was a blast to watch those deer come in so fast as they responded to the calls so well. It truely felt like i was in a game just like what coocoo4coues said? And I cant even explain how much fun I had that day hunting. Anyways Great job to SouthernCouesHunter for making a fantastic shot at the deer could'nt be happier for a freind. Also SouthernCouesHunter maybe on our freetime we can go scouting or hunting with my uncle.

CONGRATS!

Thanks for all the posts and great responses. I really feel blessed with the opportunties that I have had. I know that many hunters go long stretches without having a buck within bow range, but to have 3 bucks in one day is definitely a dream hunt.

willhunt4coues,

You can pick them up on-line at http://www.moderncallproducts.com

Just bought one thanks for the info. You should make an instructional video and make some money. ;)

SothernCoues,

By the look of the tall grass, and the range of the Huachuca's in the background of the pic with your friend, were you hunting the river?

good job. thanks for the pics