IA Born

Flagstaff Hunter Ed Class February 2024

We are hosting an in-person classroom Hunter Ed class in Flagstaff Feb 8-11.  I set it up three weeks ago and only one kid has registered so far.  Class will be 6-8pm Feb 9 and 10, 8am-5pm Feb 11, and the field day will be 9am-1pm Feb 12.  Classroom portions will be at the Flagstaff AGFD office and the field day will be at the NAZ Shooting Range.  100% attendance for all portions is mandatory.  NAZ NWTF and the local AMDO group will be providing pizza lunch on Saturday, Feb 11.  All firearms and ammunition will be provided.  Preference is for kids who need the class to hunt; however, we encourage parents to take the class with their younger kids.  As of this morning, there are 17 seats left.

Thursday, February 8, 2024    6:00pm - 8:00pm
Friday, February 9, 2024    6:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday, February 10, 2024    8:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday, February 11, 2024    9:00am - 1:00pm

Full transparency: we set the class schedule up based on local instructor availability and local (Flagstaff, Williams, Parks, Bellmont, etc.) kids' availability.  We've found that drawing a class out 2 hours at a time over 3 weeks gets old and information retention is not great, leading to lower success/passing rates.  Saturday can be a long day, but we break it up by rotating stations with the AGFD room split with a divider and rotate between each side, pulse the lobby so kids aren't sitting in the same seat all day.  Throw in plenty of breaks, an hour lunch with a test review, and plenty of jokes, and the day flies by.  The kids get plenty of time and opportunities to blow off steam and pent-up silliness and wiggles.  On top of that, we rarely, if ever, go until 5 pm.  We will not be accepting online students into the field day for this class.  We do not have enough instructors to maintain the required instructor:student ratio and keep everyone safe.  Our Flagstaff instructor group will be hosting several online field days this spring-fall for those students who took the online course and need a field day.

https://www.register-ed.com/events/view/206214

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcshorthairs said:

That filled up quick. One spot left. Was going to register my 10 year old and my wife. Maybe next go round or online

PM sent 

Hello! I’d like to get on a newsletter list for updates on the next hunter safe class in Flagstaff. Who is the contact point person I can reach out to get updates on the next class? Thank you! 

6 minutes ago, Britt said:

Hello! I’d like to get on a newsletter list for updates on the next hunter safe class in Flagstaff. Who is the contact point person I can reach out to get updates on the next class? Thank you! 

It's me. I'm the contact point person to reach out to for Hunter Education classes in Flagstaff. We're looking at another class July 18-21.

15 minutes ago, IA Born said:

It's me. I'm the contact point person to reach out to for Hunter Education classes in Flagstaff. We're looking at another class July 18-21.

Thank you!!

• Like 1