Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Are coues deer in trouble?

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

OP didn’t like what he saw on 1 hunt and the sky is falling

About 5 years ago and one of my spots, which is my best spot, my buddy and I last 22 bucks between 70 and 80 in. One day I had a buddy of mine set up on a 115 and he didn't get it. An hour later my other buddy killed a 108 and just moving 45° where we were glassing. And this year in that same spot we couldn't find schit.

Just observations and conversation my guy.

Another possible problem is that deer only use 10% of the wilderness and bucks only share 10% of there range with does and then you have the notorious 3 day circle. So I have been taught by a fallow named Ken Kiggens. He explained that there are so many bucks in an area with normally one dominant buck. When kill all or most bucks in an area it can take 10 years with no hunting to replenish the area. Don't get me wrong deer will still probably frequent the area but not be a permanent resident. I have noticed this in Mexico these ranches are small and get shot out and the bucks are getting smaller every year. It takes time grow a mature buck. And yes there are giants in the thick. Gotta kick the bushes and throw rocks down the fingers. Just my thought, by no means science.