Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Are coues deer in trouble?

Was up in 6a during  the muzzleloader  hunt  with  my dad and lots of deer . Saw a few good bucks but lots of doe and fawns. Had 30 plus come in to water . It was interesting  to see that one group didn't  much care for the other and waited  till they  left before  they would  make there way in.

20231121_164617.jpg

28 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Was up in 6a during  the muzzleloader  hunt  with  my dad and lots of deer . Saw a few good bucks but lots of doe and fawns. Had 30 plus come in to water . It was interesting  to see that one group didn't  much care for the other and waited  till they  left before  they would  make there way in.

20231121_164617.jpg

Those aren't coues though. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well what I have seen, is that... yes coues deer are in trouble in some hunts because 700+ tags per hunt is a lot but that's not what worry me the most. What worry me the most is the idiots out there that do not know how to hunt and do not know how to shoot and do not know and/or have common sense! That's what worry me the most because not only coues deer are in trouble, good hunters are too!

Ernesto C.

• Like 9

We had 4 tags and took 3 nice bucks all about he same size. 4th tag holder not that hot to take an average buck so passed. Other bucks were seen and one big one, doe and fan sightings ok. Pic is my nephews first and the size f other 2 taken, all in all saw as many bucks as we have in 20 years.

Image 11-18-23 at 6.38 AM.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Those aren't coues though. 

Nope sure not coues. That's pretty  obvious!  Just responding  with  my observation  . The deer in 6a during  my dad's hunt were out and the number of bucks and doe with fawns was more than we usually  see . Lots of muleys  and a few whitetail  in the mix also.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:18 AM, Big or Bust said:

From what I've seen, coues deer are absolutely thriving and spreading into even more mule deer country. Activity was low this summer and some into the fall as I think they were in conservation mode due to poor monsoons which I've seen before and greatly limiting activity.

I have not seen any buck or age class reductions from average.

Mexico was bad.   Evan the ranchers said they haven't had rain since July.  Until a couple weeks ago.  And the bucks we did see were in the low land (mule deer country) around the only water source.

4 hours ago, desertmafia21 said:

Sounds like you need to step up your game! Here’s something to do that 

Coues deer are definitely in trouble with those.

• Like 2

I would agree that buck numbers were down.  While I did luck out and kill a giant the rest our group only saw 3 bucks 65”+

2 hours ago, WhipRanger said:

I would agree that buck numbers were down.  While I did luck out and kill a giant the rest our group only saw 3 bucks 65”+

Let's see it!

• Like 1

Only thing we have going different this year is open borders. Maybe that's the problem.

21 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

Mexico was bad.   Evan the ranchers said they haven't had rain since July.  Until a couple weeks ago.  And the bucks we did see were in the low land (mule deer country) around the only water source.

Yeah. I didn't go to Mexico this year and my observations were for north of the border only. Rainfall is only one aspect of it in Mexico. We feel we have predator problems up here? Mexico is a different animal...

12 hours ago, 25-06 said:

Only thing we have going different this year is open borders. Maybe that's the problem.

Pretty much everything is in trouble in 2024 except illegal immigrants 

• Like 2