Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Navajo cow Elk

Anyone have any experience hunting elk on the Navajo Reservation? It is an awfully big place and my cow tag is good anywhere on it. Any ideas where to start scouting?

There are a few pockets between Chambers and Lupton, up to Oak Springs over to Klagetoh that hold elk. I personally like Unit 5a & 5b up there, but it may be because we have a ranch in Pine Springs. If you go in September I would try my luck up towards Sawmill though, I thinks #9010 is the road number. Make sure you got good shoes on your hunting rig, the mud up there is horrible.

-Jeremy-

Thanks guys. I shot a nice cow at 175 yds at the top of Navajo unit 9. Double lung shot with my .270 did the trick. Weather was great - even enjoyed the snowstorm as I am a desert dweller. It was kinda cool to quarter and bone out the meat and be able to lay it out in the snow to chill. That was a first as I am usually rushing to get the meat into ice chests. Not alot of elk and they seem to move back and forth across boundaries. Guess that is why they give you a month to hunt.

post-2937-1238703103_thumb.jpg