AZHUNTER05

Turkey shot size question (Updated)

On 3/12/2024 at 3:01 PM, AZHUNTER05 said:

I’m a little confused by your post. I’m just looking for a lethal ammunition/choke combo that is effective to kill a bird out to 40 yards. I don’t think anyone mentioned shooting longer distances? From what I gather the industry standard for shooting turkeys is 40 yards and in…correct? 

Like I’ve mentioned previously I’m new to turkey hunting. Your tactics and decoy strategy seems like a great idea. I have no intention of shooting long distances. I’m primarily an archery hunter. So, getting in close with an animal is nothing new to me. 

I'm confident out to 60yrds with my 12ga with #5 3" shells, and out to 90yrds with my double barrel 10gauge with 6 shot. And believe me it kills on both ends..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I'm confident out to 60yrds with my 12ga with #5 3" shells, and out to 90yrds with my double barrel 10gauge with 6 shot. And believe me it kills on both ends..

+1 on 3" #5 shot.  Stacked many gobblers out to 50 yds without issue.  Federal turkey load - lead with a flight control wad.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

If you have any pictures of the patterns those guns are shooting I would love to see them 👍

I will , just put new vortex scope on moseberge 500 ,  10 gauge is point and shot. Here goes the shoulder again. Love it

6 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

+1 on 3" #5 shot.  Stacked many gobblers out to 50 yds without issue.  Federal turkey load - lead with a flight control wad.  

Flight control wads are pretty crazy with buckshot too. I’ve seen some guns stack some tight 40-50 yard groups with those

• Like 1