Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Predator / Varmit hunting

Anyone had success using the electronic callers? I have heard that cats won't come to them very often and my spring time is going to be devoted to killing a bobcat and / or lion.

Thanks.

I have had bobcats come to them. You just don't see all the cats that come in to see you. :unsure:

I prefer my wayne carlton call any day.

Yes,

I have called in lots of coyotes, some foxes and 2 bobcats. I cheat and use a CD player hooked up to a Johnny Stewart Power Pro. I couldn't stand to mouth call for 20 minutes straight like the elctronic does. Both the bobcats came in within 10 minutes and fast, I must have been real close to them when I set up. I heard you have to sit there usually for a long time before they come in. I am not patient enough to wait more than 20 minutes though so I don't and then I move to another stand. 90% of the coyotes and foxes that come in show up within 10 minutes so I am not sure waiting around is any better than just moving down the road a little. I won a new .223 Rifle at the Sheep Society banquet last weeknd and am dying to get out and crack a coyote or two with it. Shooting coyotes coming to the call is a hoot. Good luck.

Bret M.

Electronic callers are really nice and alot of fun to use. I've called in a boat load of yotes and fox with mine. Just set it up and get back a little ways away from it and be ready.

I took my caller and new rifle out Thursday to the Silverbells to glass for sheep and maybe call a little. I started hiking around the Ragged Top and would make a stand every quarter to half mile in between glassing the cliffs. On the third stand a big bobcat came sneaking into the set up looking for the high pitched cottontail in distress at 8 minutes and 15 seconds according to the CD player. I promptly shot right over his back at 50 yards, scared the heck out of him watched him cartwheel/backflip and run off :( . All I found was a little patch of fur from his back where he rolled over in fright :( . I followed his tracks in the sandy soil for 45-50 yards and never cut blood. So yes, they can be called in and you do not have to wait 30-40 minutes per stand. Maybe next time I will shoot a little straighter. I called all afternoon Friday down south of Florence and called in nothing except for some crows and nasty old range cows :blink: . Good luck with your cat ventures..

Bret M.

Florence gets hit pretty good. I know when I was doing it alot we would almost always star out at the 96 ranch and then go east til around noo then come back and hit the west side flats and washes and would usuallly call in 10 to 15 a day.

I was on Deepwell Ranch road South of Florence and didn't even find any fresh coyote sign, someone must have hit it pretty hard or last years drought must have really hurt the coyotes. I should have gone left to the 96 Hills and left Deepwell alone I reckon. Maybe next time.

Bret M.

I have actually had more luck with a mouth call. The elctronic calls I have been around cannot reach out there like my mouth call can. But that is just my experience. Yours is probably different. The last bobcat I called in was last year, and I had just bought a new 223. As a matter of fact, just out of the box. The first round shot through the gun was at this bobcat at ~60 yards. Shot right over his back. Coulda cried. The salesman told me it had been boresighted at the factory. It probably was, but what happened between the factory and the shelf obviously knocked the scope around. I sighted in just afterwards, and I was more than 6" high! UUGGHHH!