Sign in to follow this  
luvdemcoues

Lower Salt River

Does the amount of snowfall and rain have anything to do with the flows? I have heard that part of the reason they limit the flows is to keep Saguaro Lake levels higher. So, as long as the Lake stays at full capacity or close to it, then flows should remain high? Or am I wrong there?

Snow pack and lake levels do affect the flows from saguaro lake. If there is enough runoff into the salt river lake chains, SRP releases water to make room for projected runoff. When SRP raised the level of the dam at roosevelt lake the extra room that this created in the lake is for flood control only. When the level in Roosevelt rises above the old high water mark, the excess water has to be released as soon as possible without wiping out the bridges and roads in the valley-no long term storage was gained. SRP keeps the lower lakes pretty full when they can and uses Roosevelt to feed apache, canyon, and saguaro lakes. So on a real wet year, there could be higher than minumum flows all winter-in years when there is only enough runoff to fill the reservoirs or less than enough to fill them, it's 8cfs all winter.

Ted B.

Well, I went and fished the Lower Salt again yesterday morning. Finally caught one drifting a brown woolly bugger, then slowly stripped it as the line started to swing. It was a fat 13 incher. Too much fun. I then spent the next few hours throwing a small parachute adams that I tied (size 18) and watching the fish hit about every other cast. That is always fun. I have a turkey hunt going on in Unit 1 right now that I am having ot miss out on as the wife is going to have #3 any day. I know that if I were to go up, she would no doubt go into labor just to spite me! I have actually really enjoyed fishing the Salt. Not a bad place to spend a morning every now and then.