Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Cabo Saltwater Recommendations?

Going to be in Cabo San Lucas late next week (very last of April) and want to hire a boat for a day's fishing with some friends. Anyone actually have recent, positive experience with a guide/outfit you'd recommend? I know how/where to research on-line, but am looking for personal input. Thanks in advance ,,,

Lv2hnt

I have been down there a few times and my recommendation would be to not book anything prior to arriving. I have had great luck booking a trip once I was down there for much less. This time of year you will probably be targeting Roosterfish and the Bonita should be cooperating as well. I don't know how good the Dorado fishing will be but we have done well with Dorado and Marlin in May. You can just walk down the marina to one of the shops in there and figure something out for the next day. (much cheaper that way, I can't remember any of the ones I used by name but all my experiences were great)

Another really fun thing to do is rent a water taxi and bring your own tackle and have him troll you around for an hour or two with Kastmasters and Crocodiles or buy some cut bait. Very inexpensive and very fun. I am jealous, have a great trip.

Joe

Hotel Buena Vista in Los Cabos up the road just a bit from Cabo treated us fantastic when we fished with them a couple of years back.. We tore up the dorado and even landed a few yellowfin tuna and a small sail.

lv2hnt,

Never been to Cabo or to Sammy's Cabo Wabo, dang.!!! one day hopefully. Was in La Paz several years back and stayed at the Los Arcos hotel. Great place to stay. They even had a cool picture of Clark Gable with a Marlin. I would also recommend checking with your Hotel first as Scottboy mentioned. We got took by chartering from a guy we met instead of going with the Hotel charter. Not to say you can't get a better deal walking around but there is a risk like we found out. This guy(Hugo) with Blue eyes made an offer to us that was cheaper then the hotels. He did take us down to the marina to show us a nice boat. But what we did next was totally wrong. We all shook hands and went ahead and gave him all the money up front. :o :o . That night we were all sweating bullets wondering if he was going to show up in the morning. I even checked around and everybody said," you gave Hugo the money"!!!. Well, what we didn't know was that Hugo was well know in La Paz as the town drunk. :huh: I 'm sure your a lot more savvy then we were. By the way Hugo did show up the next morning but wasn't much of a captain. Hey,we were able to run the boat with his helper. Well Mr. Hugo slept it off below. caught one bonita, and lost a dorado for not knowing what we were doing.

Good luck in your trip and have fun.

Watch out for those Hugo's. :P :P

Snapshot,

WOW, With those prices it makes me want to shout MASS TEQUILA!! Then, for sure, No joke, I will be in the promise land or Spirit World for that matter. :D :D Where's HUGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!. Oh ,wait I Heard he's bar tending at the Cabo Wabo. :) :)

Its not a cheap trip for sure, but after a day of reeling in all those billfish, and your forearms and shoulders are throbbing, just head down to the ole Cabo Wabo and line up those shots of that Blue Tequila, Sammy style! :D