Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Fouled barrel??

I was out shootin this morning and I though of this question: I never hunt with a clean barrel, and when I am out testing a reload, or practicing I always shoot a couple of shots to "foul" the barrel before my real testing starts. My question is when is the barrel "fouled", and at what shot count does a "overly fouled" barrel start messing with the accuracy of the gun. I understand that some of this depends on the particular rifle etc..

I definately see a difference in the point of impact in the first shot on a clean barrel, but after that I don't see much difference from the second shot on. Today I shot around 20 shots out of the 300 wsm, and the same from the 300 win mag. Out to 7 hundred it held together pretty well.

Let me know your thoughts on this

Whitey

Yep. depends of the rifle. My 270 wsm for example holds tight groups whether it be the first shot of the day, or the 15th. My Wby likes to have two rounds down it.

Scout'm and I were shooting one of his rifles (Larry, I think the 270wsm, right?) and we found out (the hard way mind you) the gun LOVES two foulers, then to be shot. With out the two foulers, it wouldnt group the Barnes. When we started shooting the foulers, the groups tightened right up!

You have to play with the barrel and see what it likes. My 270 had 50 years of crap in its barrel, and it still shot great. Redrabbit and I cleaned it to the max, and it still shot greeat again. Gotta play with the gun and see what it tells you.

You might try something different in the way you put it away. I have found that if I patch it out with Kroil and then one dry patch, on most of my rifles, the first shot is "in the group." Also, a hot barrel my shoot different than a cold barrel. Take you fouled barrel, at least 2 shots, and when it is dead cold (hunting temps are better) take on very careful shot at say 200 yds, let it cool for 60 seconds and take one more. Move to a different target and shoot a 3-shot group with only a 30 second wait or so between shots. See if the first two shots are in the same spot as the last 3. The first shot is obviously the most important. If they ARE in the same place, repeat with a clean barrel another day and see where that first one hits.

Good luck.