Sign in to follow this  
MuleyMan

More Muley Stuff

Much as I would like it to be.......this ain't me. Woooooooow! Utah Pauns.....1993. Check out the sand and other undesirable, 'I-won't-waste-my-time' desert stuff. Oh wait........some of that stuff is ummmmmmmm.........just slightly attractive.........to certain creatures.

post-3283-1245125211_thumb.jpg

Buddy of mine whacked this great 32" buck in an OTC unit for Wyoming residents during the 1990's. BIG thick muzzle, fat October neck, eyes small and far apart = mature buck. Check out this out-of-the-way desert country that most hunters were driving past. Looks like loser country, don't it? He found this buck looooong before the season. What a terrific, personally satisfying trophy!!! Anyone notice a pattern here???

post-3283-1245125445_thumb.jpg

205 inches of whitetail, 202 inches of muley. Would you believe...........................AZ units 32 Coues and 42??? Not true...........both bucks are from Colorado in the 1990's. The eastern is from the CO eastern plains.....the muley from NW Colorado unit 21. Turns out that a dedicated hunter from Washington State hunted the October season in 21 when it was drawable with just a point or two. He spotted this whopper in a patch of Gambel's oak on a steep hillside.......but couldn't get-r-done. He suspected that old muley bucks are predictable (where'd he get that idea?) and applied the next year............but only received a PRECIOUS preference point. The next year, he drew again, and found this same buck in the same patch of oakbrush...............two years later. 36 inches outside. Do a web search under 'persistance' and 'big 'ol fat-necked muleys are creatures of habit'...............and you will see a pic of this Washington hunter who knows the program.

post-3283-1245125997_thumb.jpg

post-3283-1245125244_thumb.jpg

Same buddy..........all by his lonesome...........Wyoming public land 2004. Ummmmmm............did I say..........public land? Also, this is an OTC unit for Wyoming residents. 200" plus...........tons of personal satisfaction...............the deep, deeeeeeeeep kind....................the kind that stays with you forever.

post-3283-1245127747_thumb.jpg

Here's a 5.5 year old that I whacked in SW Colorado a couple decades ago. Big bases, 4.5 inch eyeguards........170's with a WHITE face and a roman, mature buck nose. The highlight of this hunt wasn't my nights in Durango drinkin' Wild Turkey and chasin' women................but was the fantastic Filson wool vest. Do they still make those things?

post-3283-1245127980.jpg