Sign in to follow this  
coyotekid

i didnt catch a single fish but

its kinda a half cloudy day and i thought i would try to catch a few fishies in the creek. i made the drive out to the edge and grabbed my fishin stuff and of course my binos and headed down the trail, i got about a hundred feet down the second switch back and thought i should stop and glass for a min. it took me about two minutes to glass up and down the canyon and find a dang elk horn. this was the start of a lot of bad decisions on my part, I now had to figure out if it was a good one or not. i was looking about 900 yards through my 10x and now i had to go get the spotter, hiked back to the truck chucked the fishing gear and grabbed the tripod spotter and video camera. when i threw the spotter on the horn it didnt look that big but the problem was that i was 99% sure i could see the other one in a bush below it about 20 yards. the other problem was that i saw no way to safely get down to where the horns were at and worse yet i saw no way to hike back out with out a winch rope dragging me back up. i took a good video through the spotter but havent gotten it uploaded to the net yet so the pics will have to do for now. but these stinkin horns were a solid 860ft vertically from the top of the canyon. oh well there was a matched set of horns down there and i was off to get them. it took me 40 min of sliding on my but and hanging on for life that i got down above the first horn. saw it was a decent 6 but nothing special. the awesome part was the other horn that i thought i had seen was right there and for sure the match. got down to the ledge where this bull had chucked his bones and said to my self how and why in the heck is there. i tried my dangdest to follow the trail (or should i say terds) but the elk trail would just end up on another point and would just dead end. the moral is the it took me the better part of 3 hours to get these dang horns but they are pretty cool at that. if you gave him a 40 inch spread he would be 310 inches. not huge but he is still out there some where growing them bigger and better this year for some lucky fool with a tag(not me) they are this last years horns wiht all brown on one side and white on the other i will try to get the video soon. enjoy and have a good week.

-sam

post-2382-1247465517_thumb.jpg

post-2382-1247465537_thumb.jpg

post-2382-1247465559_thumb.jpg

Sam you are an animal. Was this up in the park? or you back in Flag?

Archer

Hey jeff, Im back in flag but that was a 6a bull. but boy howdy have i been seeing some big boys up in the park. even a few sheep.