Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrmatthews

Bighorn Sheep information?

First let me say Congrats on drawing a sheep tag!!! :D As you have been told it is a tough hunt. There is another member of this site that had that tag a few years back and was not successfull and he is to my knoweldge a very good hunter.... so that should attest how how tough a hunt it can be. My thoughts are, that since it is such a long hunt you can go at it for a month or more on your own and have a chance to fill the tag.... and then if it proves harder than one would hope... you could always hire someone later.

Here is something to keep this in mind for hunt prep..... DO NOT: shotgun guys all over the unit to look.... they might "bump" sheep, or exhaust all of your "Buddy" resources in the opening weeks of the hunt.... try to schedule it out so you can always have atleast one "Buddy" with you... it will help keep you mind right (sheep hunting alone can eat you up if you are alone). I would focus on learning access, planning my hunt, and talking to anyone that will listen or wants to tell you about sheep in 9-10, from now till Oct. If you happen to see sheep on your prescouting trips, great, but those sheep are hard to find and likely will not be in the exact same spot come hunt time anyhow. Learn the deep places people have seen them and then how to get to those places... how to get in the canyon... use a gps and with a map program and log every place that you come accross that will allow you access to the inner canyon. Best of luck on your hunt.... and don't just assume that sheep only live in the vertical stuff. ;)

From someone who is infinitely jealous:

My advice: GET A GUIDE!!!! If only to tell you where they are or might be, you can leave him in camp once the hunt starts if you want to feel like you did it alone.

Remember, this is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME TAG!!!!

My father-in-law killed a desert bighorn, alone, with a bow over 15 years ago. It was the ONLY sheep, ram or ewe, he saw in 14 days of continuous hunting. The next year he got a phone call from a guy who had drawn that year's tag. When my father-in-law asked him what kind of binoculars he had, the guy said 'I think they're Tascos'. When he asked him how many days he planned on hunting, the guy said 'Every Friday I can get off and the weekends,"

At that point my father-in-law told him good luck, and hung up on the guy. You can guess what happened after that.

My advice: get the best binoculars and tripod money can buy, and if you don't know how to use them pay a guy to teach you. Get all your friends who have binoculars and tripods and know how to use them to come along. Buy as many trail cameras as you can afford and put them on any waterholes that the guide you've hired has told you to look for sheep on. Take an extended leave from work, plan on hunting all month if you have to. Scout every weekend from now until December.

If you're thinking of all the money you'll save in taxidermy fees by not hiring help, not getting better equipment, or doing an insane scouting season you won't have to worry -- there won't be a sheep to mount!!!

+1

After looking at the photos, looks like you and your buds might need to take some rock climbing classes and invest in some ropes, harnesses and gear.

Good luck on a challenging hunt.

Garth Goodrich had this hunt i think last year or the year before and he was unsuccessful Garth is a darned good hunter and he knows his stuff. Gino--is this who you are thinking about?? Anyway--get with Garth if you can and get all you can get out of him about this unit.

Garth said that in some places if you did shoot a ram you would never get him out--you just can't get to them

Good luck!!

Oh, and they can be had--i have seen at least two taken out of that hunt.

Congratulations on your tag!! My advice is to just take a deep breath and enjoy every minute of the hunt! As Gino said, talk with as many people as you can that are willing to share info about that hunt and keep a notebook with info that you can reference back to. I recommend contacting Don Martin(for info) because it sounds like he has experience with that particular hunt! Again Congrats and good luck on your hunt!!!!

Congratulations on your tag!! My advice is to just take a deep breath and enjoy every minute of the hunt! As Gino said, talk with as many people as you can that are willing to share info about that hunt and keep a notebook with info that you can reference back to. I recommend contacting Don Martin because it sounds like he has a lot of information on that particular hunt! Again Congrats and good luck on your hunt!!!!

Thanks My Friend.... :rolleyes: :P :lol:

Yes, Terry, I was refering to Garth. Just didn't want to put him in the spot light.... I know he will be very helpfull with any info he has about it. i know what Garth means about some that country.... I have some different ideas myself. One of the guys I hunt sheep with over at Double H and I had a long talk about that unit(s) and how we think a guy needs togo about gittin-er-done in there.... I'd love to have a crack at hunting them in there for 3 months! What an advantage having your choice of the best time to hunt!!

Congrats again Man! I think you are in for an adventure! ;)

Thanks for all the information that you all have shared so far. I was able to get ahold of Garth, and he was very helpful. A very nice guy he is! I really appreciate all the support you all are sharing. Thank You!

Congratulations on your tag!! My advice is to just take a deep breath and enjoy every minute of the hunt! As Gino said, talk with as many people as you can that are willing to share info about that hunt and keep a notebook with info that you can reference back to. I recommend contacting Don Martin because it sounds like he has a lot of information on that particular hunt! Again Congrats and good luck on your hunt!!!!

Yes, Terry, I was refering to Garth. Just didn't want to put him in the spot light.... I know he will be very helpfull with any info he has about it. i know what Garth means about some that country.... I have some different ideas myself. One of the guys I hunt sheep with over at Double H and I had a long talk about that unit(s) and how we think a guy needs togo about gittin-er-done in there.... I'd love to have a crack at hunting them in there for 3 months! What an advantage having your choice of the best time to hunt!!

sorry i clarified it! hahaha (for info)

:lol: :P :lol: :lol:

:lol: :P :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric.... We Love Ya Buddy!! :P Arthur and I are just funnin' you!! ;) :P

My dad drew a desert bighorn tag this year. One of the things he's found helpful so far is calling the unit game manager. Those guys are out there way more often than any of us are ;) and they usually LOVE to help the guys who are lucky enough to get the yearly tags!

Good Luck!!!

hahaha i know guys back at ya!!! i gotta watch what i say around the wolf pack :lol: :blink: ;) azhuntergirl that is great news for your dad, 37A has some great rams good luck on the hunt!!!

You need to be in the best shape of your life and be prepared to spend the whole season hunting. Like every one said...once in a lifetime.

Good Luck

Anthony,

Correct me if I am wrong...didnt you draw a Unit 10 bull tag this year as well. You must have a 4 leaf clover stuck up your butt. dang I am jeleous!