Sign in to follow this  
CarbonPusher

11yr 36A Nov 20-26 09

Help as in money for gas, or how to avoid illegals, or where to hunt??? :blink: :rolleyes: :mellow:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So you put him in for a unit you have never hunted? Buy some topos and start learning the country... glass, glass, glass..... that is the best advice I can give you. ;) From what I hear that is not a hard unit to find deer in, if you work at it.... if you are a successfull bow hunter than this rifle stuff should be a piece of cake for you. Best of luck!

We have helped many kids and adults take their first deer in that unit! Best to know the places to hunt that will keep you away from the border trafic! Some areas have lots more deer than others so if your not finding them don't be discuraged and just keep scouting other places. It can be a great hunt if you find the higher deer populations and can keep away from the border trafic areas! Scout scout and scout, glass glass and glass! Very rarely do I see hunters glassing off of tripods down there! :huh: Or if you want some extra help, look us up!

Lance

The Where to Hunt section on AZGFD is not too specific. Best info seems to be about access.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_36a.shtml

There is usually a junior camp off the Aravaca Road. That would be a great place to get help and meet people during the hunt. You should be able to find some info on the AZ Deer Assoc website later.

http://www.azdeer.org/youth_camp_main.htm

You might want to send a PM to Stanley about the youth hunts in 36A, as he has some experience there. I just talked to him about this.

Good luck and have a great hunt with your boy!

Doug~RR

Doug has posted some good links. I'll PM some info to you also.

I'm no expert in 36A, but I have been involved in the youth hunts down there for several years now. As mentioned, there is usually a very good junior camp hosted by several organizations (SCI, AZ Hunters Who Care, AZ G&F, ADA, etc..). Good information and camping company at that camp for someone who is new to the area! I will once again be there with kids in tow... ;) As has been mentioned, there are plenty of deer in 36A (hense the large number of oveall permits...). Lance's comments are also spot on!!

Looks like I'll be down there in a BIG way this year also! Myself, and all three of my kids (as well as another friend and his kids...) all got 36A tags. Some of us for the general hunt and some for the Juniors only hunt. Gonna be a busy November! As always, it will be piled on top of school obligations, dance classes, pop-warner games, etc.!! :blink: :blink:

Watch for a flyer from G&F and/or SCI regarding the Junior's camp!

Good luck!

S.

:)

I really appreciate your guys help; I have only hunted 36A for the first time this year in Jan for Coues. I saw a total of 18 bucks over 3 days of hunting. I live in CA. I guess my other question would be, do coues tend to stay in the same area? Or do they tend to migrate? I have the right stuff to find them, glass, glass, glass.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Travis