Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk

cactus bucks

is there any scientific prof to all this or is it all he said she said

sorry about the skepticism :blink:

Cactus bucks are real and they do not shed there velvet. Obviously, they damage it over the years, but it is alive and growing 365 days a year, thus, the bumby, interesting antler configuration.

The buck in the pic is hardhorned and just a crazy non-typical, he does have some velvet remnant, but they are dead and peeling, Like half the bucks killed on the october hunt.

Maybe Jim or Amanda can straighten us out.

Cactus bucks are real and they do not shed there velvet. Obviously, they damage it over the years, but it is alive and growing 365 days a year, thus, the bumby, interesting antler configuration.

The buck in the pic is hardhorned and just a crazy non-typical, he does have some velvet remnant, but they are dead and peeling, Like half the bucks killed on the october hunt.

Maybe Jim or Amanda can straighten us out.

I am no bioligist but I believe some cactus bucks do shed their velvet and even their antlers just not on a routine basis like most deer some bucks may shed their antlers every coulple years others will hold them and continue growing in full velvet having the velvet literally hang off of there horns. I've seen cactus buck sheds and the antler is very light weight with a extremely concave pedicle. some are narly looking and others I've seen are fairly normal

thanks for all the info.... Just didnt know if they were around... Hopefully one day i can have a pic to show the proof>>>>

i believe amanda has info on this on the home page of this site. click on coues biology and then onto life stages. She has a picture of a mule deer cactus buck(hard-horned).

Quote from under mule deer picture in life cycles/biology page:

"This buck never shed his antlers and the antlers stayed covered in velvet (velvet has been removed in photo above)."

I am no bioligist but I believe some cactus bucks do shed their velvet and even their antlers just not on a routine basis like most deer some bucks may shed their antlers every coulple years others will hold them and continue growing in full velvet having the velvet literally hang off of there horns. I've seen cactus buck sheds and the antler is very light weight with a extremely concave pedicle. some are narly looking and others I've seen are fairly normal

I can imagine since a buck turned into a cactus buck do to an accident or birth defect or whatever non-normal event that not all cactus bucks are the same. I am no expert but I would imagine that it depends on the extent of the defect. Maybe some lose antlers every few years, maybe some not at all. I bet if you examined the antlers on different Cactus Bucks that they are all a little different. The one I saw in a magazine didn't look like the one Amanda posted on the web site biology page. It looked more like a combination of moldy/octopus tentacle texture. Very odd.

I had some questions relating to Couse feeding and waterning habits. Amanda posted a link for me which I had read through. There is a picture and a quick description of a "cactus" buck. Take a look if you are interested.

here is a link to the life stages page which describes breeding timing and other related biology info.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/life_stages.htm

Amanda posted some good information for me on couse biology and listed the link below for this website. It covers the "Cactus" couse briefly.

here is a link to the life stages page which describes breeding timing and other related biology info.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/life_stages.htm

Alex