Sign in to follow this  
deserthunter23

South of the Line

Wow,thanks for all the replies.My main concern was just because I hunt alot alone,and yes I was really more concerned about my vehicle than myself.I do get like to go into the country and am often a long ways from my truck.I take personal responsibility for hunting alone,although as some have said,the violence seems to be notching up along the border.drug smugglers are more my concern than farm workers.I really dont think a drug lord from a cartel would have any problems popping a person off in the bush if thought they had stumbled onto their operation.The numbers may not be there yet ,but then 5 yrs ago they werent popping off Americans in the border towns or doing all the kidnapping either.I guess we all take responsibility when we hunt the southern units.The thing that really ticks me off is that this is US soil and shouldnt even be an issue.(am still going to try for a left over tag,dont be scared ,be alert).thanks for the responces,Steve

I took all of my own pictures also, mostly on hunting trips. I have been a guide and a hunter here in AZ for years, and have seen it all down in southern AZ. I can take you to any one of those spots in the pics. And I f you would like to hear about one of my encounters with drug runners durring a muzzle loader hunt, send me a PM anytime...

Phoenix has some of the highest kidnapping numbers in the country

I read that Phoenix was number 2 in the world for kidnappings for ransom, behind you may be able to guess, Mexico City.

As far as hunting south of the line, hunt where you want. If you don't like it or feel safe, then don't go. Its no doubt going to be worse as time progresses, the cartels are getting more and more brave. I feel it will be less safe to spend time around the border as they become more aggressive. Unforunately for some it will be mean less time enjoying the country they enjoy for fear of happening across the cartel.

The scariest post I've seen here involved what appeared to be hunters who "drew down" on a CWT member as he drove by. Sorry I can't remember who's post it was or the whole story, but it was in the same type thread about this time last year.

It appears more and more bad things are going on down around the border. As with most things I fear it will only get worse before it gets better. Until then I will drive through the check points set up by the Border Patrol on my way to hunt and on my way home from the hunt.

I'm more afraid walking to my car during the day at ASU than hunting with a gun in the Southern Units.

Let me tell you, I've seen more violence on ASU Main campus than I did in the whole of my childhood down South.

You know I could make a really smart a$$ comment about ASU right now but I thing this sums it up better than anything I could say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank god I live in Wildcat country and I don't have to deal with the brain dead scum Devils. :P

All in good fun guys, I could not resist. ;)

I'm more afraid walking to my car during the day at ASU than hunting with a gun in the Southern Units.

Let me tell you, I've seen more violence on ASU Main campus than I did in the whole of my childhood down South.

You know I could make a really smart a$$ comment about ASU right now but I thing this sums it up better than anything I could say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank god I live in Wildcat country and I don't have to deal with the brain dead scum Devils. :P

All in good fun guys, I could not resist. ;)

Sorry you're a wild scat desert dog :( Must be terrible knowing we ASU folks own you guys! lol but in all reality, I chose ASU over UofA because we have one of top 10 Accounting and Economics Bachelors of Science programs in the country for state universities. And I saw WAY more violence living/growing up in/by Tucson than I have seen in Phoenix. Both cities have high crima rates though.

I took a deer in 36B last year in a remote canyon near where AZPACKHORSE snapped his photos. I didn't see the typical trash so I figured it must be too remote for the illegals to travel through. But two days later when my dad and brothers went back to hunt the area, they saw in the same canyon seven "backpackers" carrying the same type of goods as in the above photos. Fortunately, the backpackers didn't see them. We're hunting a northern unit this year. I personally wouldn't hunt alone near the border, but to each his or her own.

I still have bullet holes in my 99 dodge from one of my run ins with them. In mesa if anyone cares to see proof. This was just hours after they beat the ned out of an old lady and stole her car on I10. just stay aware of your suroundings.

You know I have talk to many illegal’s that have crossed the boarder (do to my past job) and BP and they all say the same thing they don’t want to be found and if you do come face to face with a illegal there running away from you. As far a drug runner they will try to avoid you even more they don’t want to get found and they don’t want to have attention to them. I have hunted in those units for 15 years and I have seen it all from 60 people walking a trail to men and women walking with large packs on there back. And I do the same thing all the time I make sure that I and the people I am with are safe and then take the GPS readings call BP and tell them what I saw that’s it . And that’s all you need to do.

As far as people getting camping stuff stolen

Go to the middle of Scottsdale (one of the high end places in AZ) leave your truck or car open and see what happens. You don’t leave any thing out in the open were ever you are common sense we live in a crazy world.

:(

I grew up down there and still hunt there (will be down this weekend for archery), and have never had any issues....well technically a BP truck almost ran me over once, but I dont think that counts ;) I do carry my handgun while I'm out, but rarely ever go out by myself anyways, Just stay aware of whats around you. And if you're really worried about your car park near one of the new towers that they're building that has 24hr armed security. Or hire a ninja :ph34r:

Look at the positive side of things...the deer may be more used to seeing and smelling humans which may give you a better chance!>!>! I am going down there and am really not too worried about it.

That 4pt I tried to take during archery season last year sure wasn't :P Maybe I need try muley's there a little dumber. :P

Look, there will always be two opinions to this topic. I've been through Inglewood, CA before and not been a crime victim, but just because I lucked out doesn't mean that I will advocate that it's okay to go to Inglewood, CA and walk the streets.

I think that everyone needs to acknowledge the dangers, and they are clearly evident. If you like thrills and adrenaline rushes then it might be your deal. On the otherhand, if you think the adrenaline from the hunt is good enough and don't need the extra excitement then you might want to stay further north.

You DO have better odds of being shot at in one of these southern units. And if you don't think shots are being fired, just ask BP and the Sherriff's office.