BASS

"permanent" Tree stands legal advise

Okay I think that AZ has given the no on permanent tree stands that are errected in trees. Is this right? Are there exceptions? The reason I ask is that I have a couple great spots in one of my "I hope" units. The problem is that a blind is out of the question, and the trees arn't very tall, or straight enough for a normal tree stand. The area is very hot for most of the year, and is an isolated grove of trees and bushes out on a large open meadow. Last weekend I found a platform that was built in one of the larger trees. I got into it, and realized that it was in a perfect spot, about 10 yards from the main trail. It needs some work, and maybe some new flooring to get rid of the broken pieces, but I like it. Is is against the law to fix one of these up to use later?

BASS,

I'm not sure what G&F regs say but the Forestry Service frowns on that. :D Screwing or nailing and cutting anything in live trees is a big NO NO. In addition, leaving items in the forest (platform not nailed or screwed in) longer than 14 days is considered littering. I asked about construction of a temporary platform is a flat area for the duration of the hunt. F S stated, things not being used everyday need to be taken down. So I asked about tree stands and tents. He did not have an answer for me but stuck to his original statement. He also said that he would probably site a person for doing that.

Yeah that's what I figured, but wanted to ask to make sure. So I guess I'll be removing someone elses old wood this weekend if I want to hunt that area, or should I just leave it there. :D

I would probably remove it so no other hunter gets the same idea. Better yet, move it a low quality spot and the other hunters who might find it will think they found someone's great spot. Wait a minute... maybe that is what someone did for the spot you found?

naw, I've scouted this spot for three years now, and only got drawn for it last year. This will be (is) the fourth year that it is completly torn up with sign, and each time I go in there, I tend to run something out of there. I hope I get drawn for it again this year! :D

so I take it this is a rifle area.not a bow area.if it is for rifle try a 12'tri pod out of redheads.it would get above the small trees for shots with out worring about the forest service.

so I take it this is a rifle area.not a bow area.if it is for rifle try a 12'tri pod out of redheads.it would get above the small trees  for shots with out worring about the forest service.

It could be both. In fact I took this little guy last year in the same spot with my bow

but that was just plain stupid luck of falling asleep, and waking up at the right time. :D

Elk.jpg

Think of it as an oasis. There is a huge meadow area, then one large area (about 50 yards square) with a kind of doughnut of trees, and shrubs that surround yet another bedding area. For some reason, they only bed there at around 10 o'clock, and are out of there around 12 or so. The rest of the time they are out walking in an aimless direction. I have yet to see a pattern of where they go, except to the little oasis. I guess one could set up on the edge, and take a rifle shot as they came across the meadow towards the shooter. ;)

Did you shoot that at Picacho peak. They say elk live there. I don't believe that they have a draw for that unit.

Naw, but I'm just about ready to go pay $.50 to use the parks pay-perpveiw telescope to help glass for them. :D

That bull was shot up in Northern Arizona.