Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

How much

I have not killed a bigger one with my bow- the weapon is immaterial, it is purely a matter of whether this is a first week deer or not. I am more interested in how much more he will grow by, say, the first of September. My biggest archery deer is a 178 mulie. I want a 110 class buck and won't take something smaller the first part of the season.

We saw a bigger one than this. Should know tomorrow how big.

If this one could grow an inch or maybe two more, it would be real interesting. I was surprised at where this one showed up. These suckers continue to impress...

From the looks of the pics I think he is getting close to finishing off the growth but I would still figure him to adding another inch or two......no question in my book but to each his own. I wouldn't hesitate but I don't know what else you've found. Any way you look at it, he's a great buck.

He is certainly a very nice buck. I just want something in the 110 range and this one won't do that unless he grows at least 2" more per point.

Dennis- Didn't you draw a 22 late tag??? If so then that might be a factor for you or most people to consider passing on this buck. Me personally, If I had that guy in bow range I would eat that late tag. Good luck with your hunts.

I would pass... Wait for a spike. the meat is a little more tender then.

Nothing better showed up this week. The bigger one that jumped off a spring didn't come back- yet. I won't shoot that buck unless he can put 10" before Sept 10th. It ain't gonna happen. I am very good at passing on stuff, I have eaten a LOT of tag soup. Probably a very good buck but not what I want this year.

I already have 20 full scouting days this summer. I am not going to "settle". I just don't know how much more they will grow before the early season is over. I suspect that this buck won't rub out until the end of September.

I saw some 320+ bulls this week still in velvet. Each has his own schedule I guess.

I will keep looking.

Just because he comes in and you get a few pics of him on the trail cams, doesn't mean that he is going to be carrying a white flag and a surrender attitude on opening day!