W.O.T

change of clothes

just a reminder for everyone... may be a good idea to take an extra set of underwear this season...

my buddy(Scott) and I set up for turkey in a deep canyon Ive been workin for the last 2 months. We were about 70 yrd apart. I let a quick gentle call out and stopped to wait for a while and watch.... after a bit of time passed, I realized it was about time to call it quits and get headed back to camp, so I let out 2 long series of cottontail, as a hailmary for a bear. I quit the call and was about to give the "its over" sound, when I see this big chocolate boar ramblin in about 50 yrds behind scott, headed towards him. I stopped callin to let him come in... and he stops to look... so i start back up and now hes good to go, comin on in! Scott sees the bear comin full speed, he pivots for the shot, and lets one fly, about 30yrs out. It was the best shot he could get in that situation, basically shot him quartered toward him in the neck(trapezius area) on the bears left side. The arrow went about 12" into the bear. It does a backflip, about faces and tries to jet up a tree and misses!!! craziest thing I have seen to date!!! The bear tears outta there up the canyon sides! The next thing I see is Scott haulin' over to where I was, shakin like a chihuahua!!!! We wait about 30 min or so and start lookin for blood. We find quarter size spots 4-5 at a time every 4 feet or so. After about 4 hrs of trackin this sucker and spending up to 30 min at a few stops on our hands and knees lookin for any blood speck left on pine needles or brushes of blood on small bushes, we find the broadhead portion of the arrow. Scott was shooting a 100gr mechanical. Around 5:30pm we decided to give up and felt like we were chasin a bloody nose! We figure he hit the bears shoulder blade stopping the arrow short and the blood started clottin... What a freakin letdown, very anti-climatic, nevertheless a wakeup call that ANYTHING can happen... so be prepared! and make sure you have an extra change of clothes!!!

post-1985-1251696094_thumb.jpg

bear slashes at tree, tryin to climb it... wish he would've

post-1985-1251696113_thumb.jpg

post-1985-1251696133_thumb.jpg

Scotts arrow remnants after 3 hrs of trackn the sucka!

kinda weird we never found the nocked end

First bear i ever saw i put a bullet in. The bear rolled 100yds down mountain well my friends and i were high 5'in. poor choice. should have stayed on him. that stinkin bear got up on front feet only and ran 150 yds before i could even get scope back on him shot about 12 feet behind him for 2nd shot.. holy cow, they are faaaaast!! bear put all four under him and left the country. i looked for 2 days and determined i shot low @ 400 and clipped front leg far side sweeping legs out from under him. im telling you, the roll down mountain & the speed of light run was the most incredible thing i have ever seen. bear survived but i was crushed. :( seriously fun to call in. that is the way to go. kudos on the calling.

Too bad... you cant get then all. :(

I remember last year in the kaibab we were huntin for doe on my first deer hunt (im only 13) and i shot a doe in the vitals. She fell got back up and ran before i could get another shot at her. we tracked her for about 2 hours and never found her. We found small pieces of rib bones too. shes probably dead.

Those dang copper bullets! never use um!

the fat on a bear will close off a wound and they won't drop any blood, a lot of times. may bleed like heck for a few feet, and then nothing. especially with a bow. fat closes off around the arrow. i shot a bit chocolate boar with my bow while elk hunting some years ago. perfect quartering away shot. got liver, both lungs and heart. we found a little blood for about 20 yards and that was it. luckily the guy with me could hear good and heard him croakin' up the hill. we zero'd in on the noise and found him. went less than 100 yards. he had most of the arrow in his mouth where he reached back and pulled it out. i back tracked him from where he laid and there was no way you could blood trail him more than 50 feet on any either end of the trail. i've shot bears with a rifle and had the same experience. always found em, but they really seal the holes up and don't drop a lot of blood most of the time. Lark.

thanks for the info lark... we trailed him for about a mile, whenever he was in the creek bed(on rocks) we could easily follow him.... several times he tried going uphill, but would return to flat stuff quickly...once he got about a mile out he headed uphill into the pines, lost his blood in the needles... next time we wont wait to track a bear