Sign in to follow this  
vegasjeep

Rifle scope for 7mm

I have a Leupold scopes. Its one of the best scope out there. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Nikon scope either, both scope company's offer long range capability. At my age I don't notice parallax issue. I sent my scope off and had a custom rectical installed long before they came out with these new ones like Boone and Crockett rectical by Leupold. If you plan on shooting pass 600 yards I would go with Lee dot and a Leuplod scope. Just my thoughts :)

If you plan on shooting more than 500 yds, I would go with a turret, not a dot or a line. There is just no way you can get all those lines and dots to line work out just right for any load unless you get plumb lucky! Out to 500 or maybe 550 I think you can do it but beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Get a scope with turrets if you plan to shoot real far!

I have two VX3s with B&C reticles and turrets. If its a close shot, i use the line, if it too far, I dial it.

I have a Leupold scopes. Its one of the best scope out there. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Nikon scope either, both scope company's offer long range capability. At my age I don't notice parallax issue. I sent my scope off and had a custom rectical installed long before they came out with these new ones like Boone and Crockett rectical by Leupold. If you plan on shooting pass 600 yards I would go with Lee dot and a Leuplod scope. Just my thoughts :)

If you plan on shooting more than 500 yds, I would go with a turret, not a dot or a line. There is just no way you can get all those lines and dots to line work out just right for any load unless you get plumb lucky! Out to 500 or maybe 550 I think you can do it but beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Get a scope with turrets if you plan to shoot real far!

I have two VX3s with B&C reticles and turrets. If its a close shot, i use the line, if it too far, I dial it.

Good information to know! Ill keep that in mind!!

i remember reading an article on scopes that are made with the scope reticle hash marks (bullet drop compensators) they did an extensive test on them using the formula the scopes came with on what grain bullet to use on what caliber gun, then it would tell you what range those hash marks would be used at. Included in their test was some of the best ones out there from swarovski to the great priced burris. out of the ten scopes tested the Zeiss scope was hands down the most accurate of all the rest by a long shot, the rapid z reticle remained true to the formula given. Unfortunatley the burris even though well priced was'nt that great in the article placing very low. I know pentax gameseeker makes a dirt cheap quality scope with a bullet drop compensator scope for around a hundred bucks on ebay, not bad for the price with a lifetime warranty. If i was going to put a scope on my gun it would probly be the zeiss rapid z for sure. cant buy an expensive gun and put a two dollar scope on it, if you do you just bought a two dollar gun.

Not sure about current production, but Pentax doesn't make scopes.

Burris makes them and paints Pentax on the side...

ANY drop compensating reticle is less accurate than twirling. They both have their apps, so I run scopes which have both, all Leupolds with either B&C or LRD, the MOA happens to be the same for both. If you really want to shoot long range you need to know the subtension of each dot or hash and match it up to your rifle. The generic hash marks are just that, generic, and there may be a better way for you to use them for your particular load or hunting style.

For instance, a 264 Win Mag shooting 120 TSXs @3450 and a VH reticle from Leupold yielded reliable aiming points for 350,475,600,&650. I used the LRD on a Muzzleloader, and depending on the load, have aiming points out to 250/300.

When I've got more time I'll go into a little more detail on how to use the reticles to advantage with actual values if anyone thinks it's a worthy topic.

Well. I picked up a Timney trigger for my gun today. I highly recommend these guys for anyone with a Remington 700. They are out of Phoenix and SUPER nice guys.