300 wsm

Bugles?

Has anyone heard any Elk bugle yet? Talked to some guys that herd a few a couple weeks ago, but nothing here in 3B yet for me. Maybe the moon has them screaming at night. Or maybe its to hot.

23 / 3c in the morning and evening last week. and some down the street. some guy bought a caller and added elk sounds. he has a 5b south bull late hunt.

I was awakened about 2:30 Tuesday morning by a bugle and a bunch of cow calls a few yards outside my cabin window in Greer. I went to the back door and stepped outside in time to hear another bull bugle in the meadow across our little road. It was too cold (43 degrees by my thermometer) to stay outside any longer.

I sat in the bathroom with the heater going and the window open for another 30 minutes or so but heard no more elk calls, and went back to bed.

On Wednesday evening, I drove back roads from Greer to White Mountain Reservoir and then to almost Crescent Lake before taking a forest road across to Mexican Hay Lake and then home. I saw more than 100 elk before dark. Most were in two large cow/calf herds, but there also were two groups of a dozen or so cows being herded by 6x6 bulls.

I'd say the rut is starting on this side of the White Mountains.

Bill Quimby