Sign in to follow this  
quest4coues

Area 23 Burros Mountains Coues Deer

Hey all- I drew an October Rifle tag for Coues (FAWTD) in the Burros this year. I actually thougt until this week that I was going to have to eat this tag. Luck has it, I am headed out and will make the hunt. Anyone have familiarity with this area and the Coues Deer within it? Also, how much ATV traffic is i nthis area? Can this hunt be done by parking a vehicle and hiking in 3- 6 miles daily on day hunts? I have good glass and like to use it. Anyone have any suggestions on methods? locations? etc? thanks in advance. I plan to call Tommy tomorrow to discuss his scouting packages.

Quest4Coues

I hunted there last year for coues and saw some good bucks. I didn't end up killing anything but my buddy killed a 92 inch buck on the last morning. We were in deer every day and we didn't have to hike 3-6 miles to find them. The truth is I had never set foot in the Burro's until the day before the hunt.

You should really consider calling Tommy Maldonado at Gila Wilderness Hunting and use his map service. He is a member of this site and will put you on deer! We were so happy with his service last year that I'm using him again this year on my Burro Mountain mule deer hunt. Give him a call... you won't regret it.

http://www.gilawildernesshunting.com/

Hey thanks BULZEYE. I spoke with Tommy this evening and plan to use the map service he provides. I read about many folks who have used Tommy's maps with great staifaction. I will be there in October with hopes of locating a nice buck. Time to check out my favorite long shooter. Probably my 300 RUM. Kind of big but accuracy is awesome.

thanks again.

nothing wrong with using the .300 ultra mag on coues. It is my weapon of choice, you can put them down from far away if you have to, and like you said, i also enjoy its accuracy. Good luck on your hunt! keep us updated.

-Jared-

Hey Jared,

I'm crazy about those 30 magnums- WSM, Wby, and RUM. I have a .338 WIN and .257 Wby but go for one of the 30s every time.

I'm reaading everything I can on locating Coues. Excitment level is bulding. Third hunting trip to NM bur never unted Coues. I have wanted to hunt them forever. Can't wait for the trip. Thanks for the encouraging words!!!

John

Hey All,

Did not kill one but saw three bucks. Proabaly should have shot the first 90 seconds it was light but could nt get a great look at the size of the buck. Definetely saw three legal ones. Second deer was one hour into the hunt a forky at 537 yds, I passed. The third jumpoed and ran through the trees while still hunting. No real shot opportunity. Hunted all 5 days. Saw another 12 Coues Does. Tommy put me on the deer the first day. His service is excellent. I think the hunt would be GREAT if they had the Mule Deer and Coues Deer hunters in the field different weeks. It was a bit crowded out there. I came away even more charged to hunt Coues. Hope to draw again someday, or I will have to try arcehry in AZ or rifle in Old Mex.

Thanks to all for the help and encouraging words. Hope y'all have a great season.

John

John,

Bummer that you didn't tag out, but glad you had a good time and saw some deer! I am heading out tonigt after work with my brother for our hunt and I am pumped! Hope the day doesn't drag... Thanks for the update!

Hope you guys are having a great hunt. Post some pix.

Got two buds that want to elk hunt next year so I am researching that now. Looking for a fun hunt with action. Trophy size is always nice but trying to keep it reasonable$$. More interested in action. Looking at several areas.

No decision on how to get back to Coues, either Old Mex or Archery in AZ.

John