Sign in to follow this  

Fearful that they're losing ground on immigration and health care, a group of House Democrats is pushing back and arguing that any health care bill should extend to all legal immigrants and allow illegal immigrants some access, The Washington Times reported on Monday.

The Democrats, trying to stiffen their party's spines on the contentious issue, say it's unfair to bar illegal immigrants from paying their own way in a government-sponsored exchange. Legal immigrants, they say, regardless of how long they've been in the United States, should be able to get government-subsidized health care if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

"Legal permanent residents should be able to purchase their plans, and they should also be eligible for subsidies if they need it. Undocumented, if they can afford it, should be able to buy their own private plans. It keeps them out of the emergency room," said Rep. Michael M. Honda, California Democrat and chairman of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus.

Honda was joined by more than 20 of his colleagues in two letters laying out the demands.

Coverage for immigrants is one of the thorniest issues in the health care debate, and one many Democratic leaders would like to avoid. But immigrant rights groups and the Democrats who sent the letters say they have to take a stand now.

BS I recommend we take care of the legal citizens first and then if we feel we got enought to spread it around to the rest of the world, then take a look at that........

Fearful that they're losing ground on immigration and health care, a group of House Democrats is pushing back and arguing that any health care bill should extend to all legal immigrants and allow illegal immigrants some access, The Washington Times reported on Monday.

The Democrats, trying to stiffen their party's spines on the contentious issue, say it's unfair to bar illegal immigrants from paying their own way in a government-sponsored exchange. Legal immigrants, they say, regardless of how long they've been in the United States, should be able to get government-subsidized health care if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

"Legal permanent residents should be able to purchase their plans, and they should also be eligible for subsidies if they need it. Undocumented, if they can afford it, should be able to buy their own private plans. It keeps them out of the emergency room," said Rep. Michael M. Honda, California Democrat and chairman of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus.

Honda was joined by more than 20 of his colleagues in two letters laying out the demands.

Coverage for immigrants is one of the thorniest issues in the health care debate, and one many Democratic leaders would like to avoid. But immigrant rights groups and the Democrats who sent the letters say they have to take a stand now.

BS I recommend we take care of the legal citizens first and then if we feel we got enought to spread it around to the rest of the world, then take a look at that........

Hmm..... If I understand the above wording correctly, they're saying that illegal (undocumented) immigrants would be able to 'buy their own private plans....'. It doesn't say that they would be eligible for the government subsidized plan, I think....

Looks like the government plan(s) would be reserved for 'legal permanent residents...' only? Again, not sure if I understand it? :blink:

S.

How can you be eligible to buy into our health plan if you are here ILLEGALLY? I don't get it.

That is kind of like saying that you are going to give me a driving license even though I have been declared legally blind, thus making it illegal for me to drive.......probably not exactly the same, but dame same difference any way

It really only makes sense if you think about it because one of the bi-laws drafted in the proposal is requiring everyone to have some kind of coverage. And if the illegals are not allowed access to buy some type of coverage we are back to square one with UDC's. They will be the only ones without coverage and you as well as I know they will still visit emergency rooms and get flown out of the desert on a very expensive helicopter ride and you and I would be the ones stuck paying for it! Thats whats driving health care up !

I'm still missing something, I guess.

I don't see where it says illegals are eligible to 'buy into our health plan...'. It specifically says that they would not be eligible for the public thing. It states that they would only be eligible to purchase a 'private' plan. Isn't that a good thing if they have to get their own private insurance?

S.

IA's dont buy health insurance now and wont buy in the future .... They go to the ER's and end up with state sponsered treatment .... The constitution does not allow us the luxury of denying them treatment no matter what is written in any upcoming Bill ... That is what the Lie heard around the world was about ... The Supreme court will not allow for the non treatment of IA's as they are there to uphold the constitution... So how ever they spin it Illeagles will get treatment under a Federal plan as they do now under state sponsered aid ... IA's are not going to buy healthcare and in my opinion any person in knowledge of a law being broken is an accomplice in that breach of the law and just playing stupid and making laws that do not require proof of citizenship means the US goverment is an accomplice of Law being Broke as are the idiots putting out caches of food and water to help these law breakers .... PLAUSABLE DENIABILTY???? or just Stupidity that is the question ... The funniest thing about it is the hardest working guy in the country enforcing the laws of immigration gets no respect we need more people like sherriff JOE sending these IA's home ... A citizen that crys unfare because of racial profiling when asked to show citizenship is only doing so cause they have the knowledege of people here illeagaly .... A proud Citizen of the US(no matter the race) would just Show the proof and thank the person for doing the JOB their taxes are paying for... just my 2 cents

Well said....your aren't missing the point Stanley, just the obvious, if they are here illegally, who is going to hold their hand to the fire to purchase insurance they don't need when we are going to pay for them anyway.......it is just a huge smoke screen to appease the illegals so that they will keep voting for the Obama health plan when Acorn comes around and signs them up to vote as a US citizen.

Can I walk up to the ER and get services on a regular basis so I don't have to purchase insurance??

No cause I have a physical address and a PO box, I am a resident of AZ in the US and they will come track me down and take it out of my hide................

The key word is "Illegal". They shouldn't have any type of health care. That may sound bad, but it was their decision to come here "illegally". It may be bad in their country, but that doesn't mean we should have to pay for them to be here. I think the less rights they have here, the better. Maby some of them might think twice before crossing the border.