Sign in to follow this  
luvdemcoues

22-250 vs 243

in my opinion for whatever its worth would be to start a kid off slow & comfortable like you would a bird dog,he didnt come out of the womb smoking cigars & driving a truck.he has alot of years to develope the skills he needs.startingg a kid off with very low inpact with a high regard for accuracy pays off.how old was your bird dog when you shot a 12 ga over him?same with a kid, take it slow,they will let you know when there ready to progress.they will be asking to shoot what you got.yes i started buying guns for my son before he was born.every birthday & christmas he got another gun or piece of equipment he would need or could use.he had a small safe full by the time he was 16.he has developed into one heck of a shot and a predator caller with exceptional skills. take it slow, teach all you can ,live & love every minute, you are a father there is no better feeling.

Rockslayer, you made me laugh out loud with that comment about why they make big gun safes. I like your idea about starting them off small. I want a 22-250 anyway, so I am going to get that. As my boy progresses, I will likely move him into a 243 then a ???

Rockslayer, you made me laugh out loud with that comment about why they make big gun safes. I like your idea about starting them off small. I want a 22-250 anyway, so I am going to get that. As my boy progresses, I will likely move him into a 243 then a ???

AS SAM MCCLOUD WOULD SAY "THERE YA GO" you got alot of time,enjoy every moment ,teach him right

I have 3 boys. "Thank god". I started them at 5 with a . 22 with a scope. At 7 they all were shooting the .223s. As of today they all are shooting the .243! At 100, 200, and 250 they all were popping milk jugs!

The oldest is 9 years old. I still say the .243 is the smallest I would hunt with....

Whitey

Great post im a new dad and I think about what and how am I going to get my son started in hunting

I can tell you this I hope he become a great man that makes a difference in this crazy world and has the same love and passion that I have for hunting

I grew up with 22's bb guns pellet rifles and some 22 pistols. Just before I turned 10, I got a taste of 20ga's and 243s. I never had a 22 centerfire growin up. Any ways I liked the 243 better than the win 94 30-30 we had. Mostly becouse of the lever safety on the 94. (you have to squeeze it to be a ble to fire and my hands werent that big). 100gr core lokts is what i was shootin I believe. I shot a 25-06 w/ a recoil pad once and the recoil was worse for me then with that than the plastic butt of the 243. Long story short, 243s work and they didnt hurt me too bad even though I was small.

cropelk.jpg

I grew up shooting a 243 and still do from time to time. It has killed 6 deer and some pigs on top of a couple elk! I was always the smallest kid in school and it was the perfect gun and big enough to do the job on an elk. 22-250 is a great gun to though. You really cant go wrong with either.

The .22-250 is a fine varmint, coyote and turkey round. I would not hunt deer with it, mulies or coues. To start your son off, take him out rabbit and squirrel hunting with a .22 rimfire. When he's ready for a deer rifle, get him a .243 at minimum. A 7mm-08 or .270 would be much better. Get him a rifle in a calibre he won't have to replace in a few years, that he can hunt with all his life.