Sign in to follow this  
AZwest16

31 Late December.

Hey everybody. I'm still fairly new to the website and I don't want to disrespect anyone who hunt's 31 by asking for any specific area's to hunt. This is my first late tag (Unit 31) for coues and now that archery elk is over I am really excited to get down there and get some scouting work done. I have been spending a lot of time on google earth looking over the unit and have noticed the wide variety of country this unit has to offer. My question is approximately what elevation give or take 1000 feet would be a solid area to start focusing on. Second I have the week off between Christmas day to New Years Eve and am interested to know if there would be a good chance of solid rut activity during this time.? Just any input from people that have hunted this unit would be awesome. Thank you guys.

Hey I'm glad to see that you were able to draw the late tag I have the early hunt so I'm getting ready to hunt my self. As far as where to hunt what part of 31 do you plan to hunt? I would be willing to share a couple of spots with you if you let me know what side you plan to hunt.AS far as the rut goes lets just hope the weather cooperates with us and you find some hot does.

i have the december 31 tag also. hoping for serious activity after christmas-that is when i will head down for a week. i have seen whitetails run across hiway 70 at geronimo but most of them stay higher of course. probably will work the eastern edges of the santa theresas'. with a full scale el nino forecast we could get some serious weather that will get the rut going. fingers n toes all crossed.

lee

biglakejake@hotmail.com

It's been rough the past few years IMO for your unit. Stockton pass will hold some deer and if the rut kicks in there could be some good bucks. This place will get hit pretty hard but if there's hot does the bucks will be cruisin so you never know. Swift trail will also be the same way, gets hit pretty good but there are some decent bucks you can find. Get off the roads and glass hard. Good luck

Hey everybody. I'm still fairly new to the website and I don't want to disrespect anyone who hunt's 31 by asking for any specific area's to hunt. This is my first late tag (Unit 31) for coues and now that archery elk is over I am really excited to get down there and get some scouting work done. I have been spending a lot of time on google earth looking over the unit and have noticed the wide variety of country this unit has to offer. My question is approximately what elevation give or take 1000 feet would be a solid area to start focusing on. Second I have the week off between Christmas day to New Years Eve and am interested to know if there would be a good chance of solid rut activity during this time.? Just any input from people that have hunted this unit would be awesome. Thank you guys.

Welcome!

What are your expectations?

What type of buck are you looking for?

I dont think it would be hard to kill a small to average (up 80")

size buck on this tag and during this hunt.

I am new to coues hunting (and AZ) and live in Safford so I have hunted this unit the last two years and

my father in law and wife have the late november/early december hunt in 31 for this year (nothing for me).

My good neighbor has the same tag as you so I'll probably be helping him when I can.

My first year was a learning curve and last year I killed a nice 3x3 during the late nov. hunt (profile picture).

I have also bowhunted the unit the last two years. All that said I am no expert on the unit but I'll answer your questions.

I spend most of my time on the Safford side of mt Graham but have been to the Fort Grant (prison) area and was not dissapointed

over there as well as Stockton Pass and Peay ranch areas to name a few.

For the most part as soon as you leave the desert floor you can find whitetail all the way to the top of Mount Graham and of

course anywhere inbetween. As stated above getting away from roads and atv trails helps. There is some really rough country

if you are up to it and can get into it you will find better bucks, little to no hunting pressure, and great scenery.

The first year (2007) I bowhunted was a week before Christmas and I saw some very rutty bucks so you should see

rutting bucks, if not, bucks should be more 'visible' cruising for does.

Last year the rut was wacky and I saw little rutting all the way through January.

Hope it helps.

Jeff

In my opinion, Stockton Pass is the best location for sheer numbers of deer. You might even see a trophy buck or two. The last coues deer I killed was in the "pitchfork" area and he was a second year 3x6 non-typical. His points were small and I really wish I would've let him grow a few more years but it was a 98yd off hand shot when 3 deer jumped out. He might've turned into something nasty down the road... We jumped the same three deer 20 minutes before, and stalked them to the next "finger" of the mountain. That previous time we jumped the deer, there was a 4x4 in the lead so I was really shooting at that one. When I killed my 3x6, I thought I was shooting at that 4x4. I picked the lead deer and shot him, but this time the lead deer wasn't the big one. <_< I wonder if his daddy is still up there.

Sorry for the articulation, but I'm in a hurry. All in all, it's tough hunting, but there are lots of numbers.

Guest borderboy

A few years ago I took my nephew and brother in law to that area. It was new to me. But I looked for good sign and habitat. We saw a buck early and passed on him. Long story short, we found a really nice buck. My nephew was asleep and my bro tried to stalk up on him. The buck was looking right at us.

He ignored my suggestions ( not that it would have given him a shot ) and it stashed in the brush. We never saw him again. Next day we went out and I saw a nice buck but he wasted 6 rounds on a fork. A fat fork is ok mind you. Good eating. But I questioned his proficiency. No big deal. But my biggest problem was access. We just didn't KNOW how to get into the area. Research! Scouting! However I did find a really ( in my opinion ) bucky canyon. It would be easier

and better for me to talk to you than to try to tell you here. I'm NOT looking for a job but if I can help - email me. I'll always help a fellow hunter.

Suerte amigo.

Welcome to CouesWhitetail. 31, It's a good unit.

Even though you didn't ask for exact spots, you got umm ;) . That good ol' reverse phsychology. Nicely done.

Come on guys, just because your willing to tell one fella doesn't mean you gotta tell the whole web. two letters, PM.

To answer your direct question, I see the most Coues deer in 31 or any unit for that matter at about 6,300 ft. Give or take 1000. That's just me though

Guest borderboy

What I did was ask a guy who lives in Bisbee. I went to the antennas and kept going until I couldn't. I have a pretty good 4x4. We walked straight north. As I said before, it would be EASIER to tell you than to try to explain. Don't hesitate to call/email.

Ohh yeah, try Notellum Canyon, Secret Spring, and Honey Hole Knoll. If that doesn't pan out just go to Bunch 'O' Bucks Ridge or Crouching Coues Hidden Saddle ;) Better yet Brown Gold Creek or Boone & Crocket Mountain :lol: :lol: . Just to name a few.

No, I'm just Couesin you. You will find the most deer/bucks around the little known Holly Grail Gulch. ;)

Congrats on the tag. Unit 31 can be a fun hunt but isn't easy. I helped my friend last year during the same hunt and same timing that you are talking about hunting. We hunting really hard but we were only seeing does and a couple dinks. We saw absolutely no rut activity to speak of and that was pathetic considering we were seeing between 20-40 does in every area we went. With the hunt coming down to the wire, we finally found a decent buck (low 70's since he was broken up) so my friend decided that he would do. Anyways, pray that the deer rut is a little better that what the elk rut was this year, hunt hard and you have a chance to kill a good buck.

Congrats on the tag. Unit 31 can be a fun hunt but isn't easy. I helped my friend last year during the same hunt and same timing that you are talking about hunting. We hunting really hard but we were only seeing does and a couple dinks. We saw absolutely no rut activity to speak of and that was pathetic considering we were seeing between 20-40 does in every area we went. With the hunt coming down to the wire, we finally found a decent buck (low 70's since he was broken up) so my friend decided that he would do. Anyways, pray that the deer rut is a little better that what the elk rut was this year, hunt hard and you have a chance to kill a good buck.

And they were in lil' honey holes too <_< :huh: :o :angry:

Could we have hunted any harder though? Good thing we were having fun seeing deer :)

I have been scouting that unit for the past few months with my brother-in-law. He has the early rifle hunt there in a few weeks. Last year while on my mulie hunt I found 4 nice big coues bucks. I have seen them twice this season while scouting, so I know there are some big ones there! Just need to hunt hard and glass. They are there, just tough to find sometimes. Unfortunatly I could not locate any big mulies for me to take last 2 years there, but did see a lot of females and fawns running around so hopefully this unit will pick back up soon.

Good luck!