you are on the right track. " I have noticed the 300 is a little off and 400 and 500 is definitely not correct" for the huge generalities like standard and magnum the reticle has some limited value. but to be really accurate-as in placing a lethal round in a coues deers' ribcage-there is no substitute for putting practice rounds on target. whether you use holdover or the rangefinding points in the scope remember to shoot at those ranges with many practice rounds. i zero my coues rifle at 400yds and know what the drop is at 450 and 474 because of the holes i see in the paper. burns a lot of powder but i have confidence in the shot every time i squeeze the trigger. the qualifier is that i would not attempt any long shots if i did not have a quality laser rangefinder to get me an accurate range.

lee

Get out and practice. My buddy had one and thats what he had to do. I made him a drop chart that was never used. It was a target that looked like a tds Reticle. this was to show him through the scope where the bullet should hit. I got the balistic info off the ned for the bullet drop. The target was designed to see how close the 300, 400 & 500 yard drops were. I havent thought about again it till today, i still wanna see how it worked. The idea was to set the target up @ say 400 yards and put the main crosshair on the top of the target (zero hold over). In theory if my balistics and the scope were right the 400 yard line i put on the target should match up with the 400 yd dot in the scope. Ill have to see if he still has the target and put it to the test.

I have the same scope on one rifle and had a difficult time with it.

I picked up another rifle and put a scope with Target Turrets on it and I must say Turrets are the only way to go. Work up your drop chart and they eliminate all the guess work. Not to mention saves you a ton of ammo trying to figure out what portion of the reticle to use at what ranges.

Target Turrets are the answer!

I have the Nikon Buckmaster with BDC. I put that on my 270 WSM. Basically, I have spent time at the range and have figured out what distance it is where the bullet hits when I aim with each line that intersects with the vertical one. Basically giving me multiple reticles. Practice. I need more too! Good luck.

I don't think you are supposed to sight in the first crosshairs dead on at 100 yards. Depending on the caliber, you should be 1" to 1.5" high at 100. That's the way my Burris works anyway.

You can calibrate the reticle to the specific gun/load by doing this:

1. sight in at 200

2. Set up at 500 with large target, hold on 500 yard bull with 200 yd reticle, shoot group

3. Hold your 200 reticle on bull and adjust power setting until 500 yd reticle comes into group.

4. Mark the power ring at that spot with a paint pen and turn it to that power whenever using reticles other than 200.

This will bring all your reticles into calibration but you still should go out and shoot some groups at each range tio verify.

Remeber that you have to have the rifle perfectly level when shooting multiple reticles. A slight cant will put you off target quite a bit at extended ranges.