Coues 'n' Sheep

Well sorta.... did not know where to post this....

Need a little Help and Advice..... On how how to prep a whole hog for my deep pit.... and Prayers that it turns out as good as all the turkeys, bear, and pork roasts I have done in it..... :rolleyes:

I have been told to burn all the Hair off the hog with a weed burner and cook it skin on.... now I have never done a whole/skin on critter in the pit.... so ANY & ALL Help will be cherrished by many folks come Saturday Afternoon at my house.

FYI: If in the Rim Country and ar looking for an all you can eat & drink Oktoberfest with a live band???? Let me know.... Noon to 6pm on Saturday... it is a membership drive for the Rim Country Homebrewers Club.... Gunna be a GREAT party!!!!

Thanks!

We have never done that either, however my father-in-law was in town last weekend and we talked about how to do hogs, and the first thing was to remove the hair! When he was growing up(70yrs ago) the put the hog in a big drum and poured boiling water over it then removed it after about 20 min's and scraped the hair off. But it sounds a lot easier to burn it off!

Good luck and happy eating!

Kathi

Gino..... I have done many hogs over the years. The one's I've did with the skin on I already had the meat place clean it for me. The skin holds in all the juices and they look great at a party when you lay them out for eat'en. If you aren't trying to impress your quest then I suggest you skin it and cut it in quarters and wrap it in heavy tin foil. Several layers works the best. Soak burlap bags in water and place the tin foil meat in them just before lowering in the ground. Wrapping bayling wire around them helps pulling them out after you dig them up. I've buried them in sand, dirt, rock lined pits, and brick lined pits. They all turned out excellent. I've tried many different recipes but you can't go wrong with gloves of garlic inserted in the meat with a generous amount of italian salad dressing. I burn my pit full of wood for at least 6 hours to bank a good pile of coals and then let the wood burn down. Depending how much beer you want to drink and when you decide to finally bury it doesn't matter as long as you remember to do so. :lol: :lol: Throw in a grate on top of the coals, lower your meat and then cover your pit with a cover such as plywood, steel plate or just dirt. I prefer a steel plate over my pit and then cover it with dirt. Several inches will do. Spray water on the dirt and look for any smoke rising from holes. If so more dirt. 12 hours is the rule and anything longer is alright. I've never burnt one yet. Goog luck and good eating.

ps.....It's always good to throw in a turkey or ham covered with honey. When's the party? :lol: ;)

TJ

Thanks all.... the link at TAH worked.

TJ,

Sounds like you and I pit about the same way! ;) Mine is a 5' deep by 3'x4' solid block and concrete pit.... with 6-8 hours of oak coals I throw a touch of wet mesquite (or in this case apple) in the pity and lowwer my grate.... drop the meat and in 6 1/2 hrs it is perfectly done.... mine being so deep I think the "chamber" above the meat acts like a preasure cooker.... cooks very fast. I can pull the ham bone out a a large bear haunch with little effort in 6-61/2 hours and turkeys fall off the bone when you unwrap them..... man i love pittin'!!! Just a bunch of work... but man is the food good....

Well my research has all led me back to burn the hair off... everyone says it is way easier than scrapin'.... we shall see....

Party starts at noon, the food and band about 1ish..... ;)

Bummer for me - I'll be in Round Valley for my son's football game. Sounds like a good time! Enjoy and let us know how the pig roast turns out.

Sorry to miss out parasiting off you! My youngest has a ball game Saturday afternoon. Have a great time!

Mark

Well..... It turned out GREAT!!! :D I got lucky.... the meat came out of the pit and was very Tasty and cooked to perfection!! We had some leftovers (FYI... a 150-175lb hog will feed about 150 peaple if you stuff it with beer brats and veggies). Myself and several members have been enjoying the great leftovers! We consumed as a group nearly 100 gallons of home brewed beers and about 55 new members joined the ranks! Can't wait for the X-mas party/ food drive! ;) Thanks Gary & Mike (Bowhunter4life) for making the trip it was great to see you guys!! The one thing I learned is that pitting a whole haog is a bunch of work.... I had some great help getting that pig butchered, prepared, fire built and tended, and the hog in the hole... it was an adventure!! Best way to eat a hog..... can't wait to do it again! ;)