Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Where to hunt in unit 23 for carp

Greetings,

I drew a NM unit 23 tag for mule deer (sorry for those who did not get drawn in NM) and I am very excited to go hunt in a place I have never before, in fact I have never killed a mule deer.

Can anybody please point me in the a direction to begin my search of where to hunt. Major roads or landmarks? I live in Tucson (not that it matter much)

Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Redman

Redman,

I am FAR from being an expert in hunting mule deer in 23, but have been on 2 hunts in 23. The first trip in '99 was for bear. Guess what I saw? Mule deer and elk. I saw 3 mule deer bucks standing in a thicket of pines (near Luna), asked my guide to stop, and he said it was the nicest bucks he had seen that year.

Last year we camped at Salise pass (the burned area), right off the highway and hiked up to the power lines everyday. You'll see a fence line to the south of the gravel pull-off area. As you hike up I'm guess 1/2 to 3/4 mile you will be directly under the power lines. Someone put a couple salt licks (going south 50-75 yards from fence) by a drainage pipe and it was completely littered with deer tracks. The problem we had was seeing does and fawns. Only 2 bucks. One, I couldn't tell because he bounded off, but honestly he looked like a brute. If I wouldn't have choked, I would have shot. He was probably no further than 40 yards. Geeez. The other was one we spotted off of Highway 180 @ 836 yards. He was definately one I would have taken a shot, but then what do I know about mule deer, I'm from Oklahoma.

In all honesty, I was looking for Whitetail and my friend was hunting carp. I saw 2 coues doe about 1/2 mile west of the powerlines, and about 25 MD crossing by our camp almost everyday at salise pass. Keep in mind though these were does and fawns. -Shiras

Redman...I run a do-it-yourself hunting consulting business and unit 23 is my back yard if your interested.

www.gilawildernesshunting.com

Redman..

Crazyaboutcoues is a sponsor of this website so I don't mind plugging him... What he is not telling you is that is were we ususally take his boys hunting.. Not because there are alot of deer but because we can scout really hard.. That and we can hunt from the house.. B)

Are you going to be hunting with buddies?? You guys can split the costs... If not then it would be nice to have someone like Tommy around for safety reasons...

ANYWAY...

drop him a line... He will take care of you.

Jason