Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Going back to Mulies

So when glassing, do they bed down or feed on the shady sides of the hills usually or where ever?? They seem to always be on the shaded sides when I see them , making me have to glass into the sun creating distortion in the binoculars and or scope? And are you already in your place before the sun or any light is out?? Thanks in advance for any help and help already given.

Desert Bull, What the heck, you trying to make me cry at my work site? Why don't you give us a video of Anderson Hunt shoving Kenny Lofton down and drainig a three or maybe a video of Shane Battier slamming Jason Gardners head into the basket support and not even getting a foul! Cold blooded.

Bob

050326_illinoiswins_vlg_7p.h2.jpg

I-L-L

I-N-I

So when glassing, do they bed down or feed on the shady sides of the hills usually or where ever?? They seem to always be on the shaded sides when I see them , making me have to glass into the sun creating distortion in the binoculars and or scope? And are you already in your place before the sun or any light is out?? Thanks in advance for any help and help already given.

There is exception to every rule. Coues don't have to follow any rules. My ideal glassing spot would have me on on a high point with the ability to glass south. I will be looking at north facing slopes with some cuts, some saddles and maybe a canyon with a water source. If this is the case you could glass areas that are shaded that would not be in the direct sun. That being said I still spend many mornings and evenings squinting through the sun. When it happens in the morning I say to myself "Why didn't you come here in the afternoon and vice versa for the afternoon. What can I say I'm a slow learner.

Bob

Desert Bull W.T.H. does

I-L-L

I-N-I

mean. Is that some kind of hip hop gangster language i don't know about?

ok. So how about this. Do you walk to your first area in the morning in the full dark or wait till light :huh: ?? I have been walking once it is just barely light enough to see. Thats how I have always done it with Mulies, with fear of kicking something up and not being able to see it. Maybe thats part of my problem right now. Not being already at my spot ready to glass at first light but still walking. in.

I read an article some where that said that Duane Adams likes to get to his glassing point an hour before sunup. I have gone up at first light, I have gone up early I have gone up at noon. I have been skunked and i have seen lots of deer on all of of them. Remember your ultimate goal is to get a deer not get to a glassing point. If you sense you are spooking deer or know you are spooking deer maybe you should be glassing your glassing hill. In 36 A me and my buddy always climb a big hill that gives us 360 degree panoramic view. We can see probably 50 square miles from up there. It is a steep 1/2 hour walk to the top. A few years ago we kept bouncing a couple 90' BUCKS OUT OF THERE. Next time we went to the hill we got into a big argument. i wanted to glass the hill. He wanted to go up before first light. We compromised on a short scan at first light and then hustled up. Sure enough it was white flag retreat half way up.

Bob

p.s. in addition i know some very successful hunters that never climb to glass. they stay at the base of hills and glass up.

Done for the year. No dice this time :( . As much as I hate to admit this, I missed a running shot yesterday that I could've, should've made, at a small fork horn. Sighted for 200, he was 150-175 yards at moving quickly and shot right over his back. I missed judged the distance and aimed high. Oh, well. Guess it better to have gotten to shoot and not at all. Will probably go back to 27 Mulies but have a crazy itch to buy a 7mm wsm or 270 wsm and get into this shooting long distances at lil grey deer :P !!

Done for the year. No dice this time :( . As much as I hate to admit this, I missed a running shot yesterday that I could've, should've made, at a small fork horn. Sighted for 200, he was 150-175 yards at moving quickly and shot right over his back. I missed judged the distance and aimed high. Oh, well. Guess it better to have gotten to shoot and not at all. Will probably go back to 27 Mulies but have a crazy itch to buy a 7mm wsm or 270 wsm and get into this shooting long distances at lil grey deer :P !!

There are no mulies or white tail in 27, there is the problem :blink: